Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why wash finished quilt right away? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-wash-finished-quilt-right-away-t261071.html)

mengler 02-11-2015 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by gale mary (Post 7085155)
I have only been quilting for four years and have been reading about others washing finished quilts when completed. What is the benefit of this?

Im mission quilter. That is I only make a quilt when I'm on a mission. Lol. The last few were gifts completed only hours before gifting. So washing immediately after finishing was also just before gifting. Otherwise I'd wash anyway so it would be done and not hanging over my head. I'm a big gluer too.

Bubbie 02-11-2015 05:59 AM

I have washed a quilt and had a seam come apart on me (only a couple of times over the years, but it does happen). Would rather have it happen at my house, than someone elses. Also I have worked on some quilts for months (things like life come up, you just never know), they will pick up dust or someone came into my studio and touched my quilt. Then I will find some kind of print or mark that needs to be removed. I feel better knowing I am giving something that is clean (I even wash things I'm giving to GoodWill).

carolstickelmaier 02-11-2015 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart (Post 7085775)
I always joke the unwashed finished quilt probably has a gallon of spit on it from licking my fingers to match up pieces. Ewww. I can hardly wait to wash mine.

love it! I do the same thing!

G'ma Kay 02-11-2015 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by colorfulom (Post 7085168)
To get that crinkly look - and if gifting, to get that crinkly look now, rather than the first time the recipient washes it (and freaks out because they don't know that it's normal).

YES! When I gift a quilt, I want it to be used! If I let them know it's already been washed, they are more likely to get it dirty.

madamekelly 02-11-2015 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 7085194)
All the above and most of mine are donated. I have cats and so I want to make sure I get any allergins out of the quilt before gifting it to someone.

I would just like to add that I also wash mine when finished because I want to know if I have done something wrong, such as I have found binding errors (binding did not catch all layers) that I had to redo, or seams that might not have been real secure. I want to find any problems first.

AZ Jane 02-11-2015 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart (Post 7085775)
I always joke the unwashed finished quilt probably has a gallon of spit on it from licking my fingers to match up pieces. Ewww. I can hardly wait to wash mine.

Never thought about that one but yep!!

Jingle 02-11-2015 11:30 AM

If for no other reason, I don't consider a quilt finished until it is washed and dried. It will be ready to give away at any time. I won't have to scurry around to wash and dry when time to go. All my others are clean and I put them in no scent white trash bags.

quilterjody 02-11-2015 12:07 PM

Not only dirt from your hands but oils from your hands that will attract dirt. For me a quilt isn't finished until I wash it.

gale 02-11-2015 12:23 PM

By the time I finished, my quilt has been dragged on the floor several times. Plus I like to take pictures of it the way it looks after it's washed.

gerideboer 02-11-2015 05:46 PM

I make a lot of charity quilts for a children's home. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I wash the quilts them dry in the dryer and they go straight from the dryer into a plastic bag, Never to come out again in my home. Some child might be allergic to cats and or dogs.