Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-when-you-get-block-go-together-so-easy-t33385.html)

LindaR 01-08-2010 06:31 AM

I never go a full 1/4", scant always....the stitch itself takes up at least 1/16" try that

AnnaK 01-08-2010 08:28 PM

Okay, I'll tell you that at times this has happened to me and if I go and press the block really well sometimes I find the extra 1/8 or 1/4 inch! Try this before you go make a new block and see if it helps.

Lynda H. 01-09-2010 08:19 AM

There are several things that can contribute to an incorrect size of a finished block. First, make sure you have cut the pieced correctly. Sally Collins has an EXCELLENT book titled "Mastering Precision Piecing" that will help. When setting my ruler down to cut a piece I always make sure to use the full measurement of the line on the ruler (meaning the fabric covers the whole line, not the left edge of the line on the ruler, but includes the right edge of the line on the ruler). In addition to the cutting is sewing and pressing the pieces. I always find a scant 1/4" works best. Be careful not to stretch the pieces when pressing and always press each piecing step before going to the next. If triangles are not cut and sewn properly, they too can affect the size and squareness of the block. Finally, the more fabric pieces in a block, the more chance for distortion in the final size of the block. Good luck and hope this helps.

CasaManana 01-09-2010 08:32 AM

have you taken a really close look at the sizes in the directions? I have had the same problem, and after my second attempt at making a block resulted in still being too small, I found my calculator. Sometimes in the writing and editing process, if they make a change to one piece, that change doesn't get updated everywhere that it should. If the directions say to cut a 4" square, we know that it will finish at a 3-1/2" square. But maybe the directions say it will finish at 3-3/4"? check that. Another couple thoughts - have you checked your pressing? Have you tried sewing 'scant' 1/4" seams? (just 2 threads short of a 1/4")
hope this helps

jojo47 01-09-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dix

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Always 1/4 inch shy all around. Checked my measurements twice when cutting, checked my 1/4 inch seam with each seam, still came out a perfect 12 instead of 12 1/2. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroowwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllll

I nearly always use a scant 1/4 inch. Also, I tend to cut into the ruler just a slant, not so you would even notice. I have to really watch to keep the rotary cuttter straight in my hand. A teacher, when I was taking a class one time, told me some right handed people tend to push in and slant toward the ruler.
Hope all the suggestions help!

Your teacher was right, because I find myself pushing in and slanting toward the ruler if I don't watch it.

littlehud 01-09-2010 08:12 PM

That is so frustrating. I know it has happened to me. I just sit there and say "Why"

MadQuilter 01-09-2010 08:20 PM

I worked on a signature block and it took 5 (FIVE) attempts to get it right. I should have just tossed it and started over but that stubborn streak won out. The next one went together like butter on toast.

Tiffany 01-09-2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I worked on a signature block and it took 5 (FIVE) attempts to get it right. I should have just tossed it and started over but that stubborn streak won out. The next one went together like butter on toast.

My motto is that if I pick it out and put it together 3 times and it still won't work, I throw the block into the charity pile (or the scrap pile) and start over. Otherwise I find myself sitting there banging my head repeatedly against the tabletop and muttering naughty things to myself.

LindaR 01-10-2010 06:19 AM

on thing you can check also is to be sure the line of the ruler is ON the fabric...a teacher told me NOT to butt the fabric to the line but to be sure line was actually on the fabric...makes sense.

dusty222 01-11-2010 01:15 PM

Inny Thanks for your reply. I'm an experienced quilter and I'm always a hint smaller in size. I always just line up the fabric to the edge of the line on the ruler and that line on some rulers is thick. Thanks, I am going to pay a lot more attention to that in the future and see if it helps. Gosh, I sure am glad to have found this group.