Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-when-you-get-block-go-together-so-easy-t33385.html)

quilter2 01-15-2010 12:22 PM

Why am I not getting this? I'm not going by any lines on my ruler, I'm lining my ruler up with the 5" line on my cutting mat and I cut up along the side of ruler. When you say edge of fabric, to me there is no edge at that spot its in the middle of piece of fabric, the edge is at the beginning or end. I'm missing something here. Look at the 5" mark on cutting mat and look at where I placed my ruler and tell me where I should line up the ruler, right on the 5" mark or at the left of right of 5" line, where you place it has to make a difference in the size of your cut. In your photo there is no fabric to the right of ruler to cut off. Thank you for trying to help me understand this.

Tiffany 01-15-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2
Why am I not getting this? I'm not going by any lines on my ruler, I'm lining my ruler up with the 5" line on my cutting mat and I cut up along the side of ruler. When you say edge of fabric, to me there is no edge at that spot its in the middle of piece of fabric, the edge is at the beginning or end. I'm missing something here. Look at the 5" mark on cutting mat and look at where I placed my ruler and tell me where I should line up the ruler, right on the 5" mark or at the left of right of 5" line, where you place it has to make a difference in the size of your cut. In your photo there is no fabric to the right of ruler to cut off by a thread or two. Thank you for trying to help me understand this.

Ah ha! I would Never use the lines on my cutting mat and it may be where the confusion lies. I used to and my blocks never came out right. Then I took a class and the instructor caught me using the lines on my mat and took me to task for it. The lines on the ruler are precision set by instruments that are made to be accurate. The lines on your mat are not. I measured my mat and was shocked to discover that across the entire mat it was off by almost 2 inches! :shock: Not all mats are off by that much but none of them are precise and they are not made in the factory to be exactly precise. Not only that but the lines on the cutting mat are a bit thick and you can get your fabric exactly on the line and still have it off. My suggestion would be to measure your mat and if you are determined to use it, make sure the lines on it are not off too far.

LindaR 01-16-2010 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I'm looking at the fabric edge on the right hand side. If looking at the fabric from the left hand side, it's the center picture that would be correct. The black line of the ruler should be exactly along the edge of the fabric, not butted up to it or just in front of it.

Someone help. I don't feel as if I'm explaining this very well.

your explaining fine, the middle photo is the correct placement....some are looking at the left ruler line LOL

LindaR 01-16-2010 05:58 AM

I see people use the mat ruler all the time and just cringe. They complain nothing comes out right duh!...I saw a woman in a class cut all her blocks this way and had to start all over. She cut a 2" strip and layed it next to my 2" strip and was amazed...hers was actually short by probably 1/16" look what that would do to a block

Tiffany 01-17-2010 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I see people use the mat ruler all the time and just cringe. They complain nothing comes out right duh!...I saw a woman in a class cut all her blocks this way and had to start all over. She cut a 2" strip and layed it next to my 2" strip and was amazed...hers was actually short by probably 1/16" look what that would do to a block

Sadly, I know exactly what that will do to a block, and to an entire quilt! :roll: Maybe that's why so many of my earlier quilts ended up as UFOs. (At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

granny216 01-18-2010 05:55 AM

I always use a scant inch and when I cut the fabric I usually cut just a hair over the line on the ruler. I measure as I go along. Not to say there haven't been some odd sizes!!! But not often enough for me to go nuts. Had a teacher once who told us in class don't worry about a little off " you can always fudge it". Needless to say I am not a big "fudger". Hate to see those gathers and 1/2 inch is a lot of "fudging". I just "unsew" if the measurement is wrong...

Tiffany 01-19-2010 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by granny216
I always use a scant inch and when I cut the fabric I usually cut just a hair over the line on the ruler. I measure as I go along. Not to say there haven't been some odd sizes!!! But not often enough for me to go nuts. Had a teacher once who told us in class don't worry about a little off " you can always fudge it". Needless to say I am not a big "fudger". Hate to see those gathers and 1/2 inch is a lot of "fudging". I just "unsew" if the measurement is wrong...

I'm not a big fudger either.

quilter2 01-19-2010 05:26 PM

Thank you ladies for being so patient and trying to help me understand what you were talking about. The people on this board are just great with everyone trying to help. I guess I need to move my ruler so that it is right on the line.

mimisharon 01-23-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jojo47

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Actually my 1/4 foot is adjustable. It's wonderful at times, but with this block it was awful! I did take a picture this afternoon...let me see if I can find it

Mimisharon, I can't tell where the block is off, but one can't help noticing the pattern and I like your batiks. would you please share where the pattern might be found? I have some bright yellow and some blue-and-yellow batiks that would be striking in that pattern.

Thank you in advance!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this question. It's been a busy deployment time and sewing time.

I found the pattern on Quilters Cache. I love it and am planning a quilt with this block soon. I love the contrast.
Hugs

mimisharon 01-23-2010 07:22 AM

I use my ruler to cut also, the mat is only a safety measure for the table top. I try to get my fabric to show just barely under the line. I don't want it to be way to big, nor too small. Ruler consistancy is important, too. If I begin the cuts with a narrow 2 inch ruler, I use that one throughout the cutting.

I was gratified that the LQS owner and master teacher both had the same problem with that block. That gave me back a bit of my confidence. Going to be taking a refresher math course soon, I get myself twisted in knots with trying to remember all my math. sheesh

Thanks to all of you for commiserating with me and trying to help me find an answer. I'm blaming the gremlins. The gal that won the blocks loved it and that is the important thing, I guess.