Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-yellow-not-popular-color-quilts-t127434.html)

ORSunshineQuilter 06-03-2011 07:49 AM

While I personally think yellow adds pizazz to a quilt, some folks think it overpowers. I read or heard the other day that yellow and black are the most dominant colors. I personally like yellow and black together so, who am I to ask?! LOL

Alondra 06-03-2011 07:54 AM

And... it doesn't fade as readily as other colors. My grandmother used to prefer yellow fabrics for backings for that reason. I love yellow and am always looking for yellow fabric that is a true yellow, not an orange-yellow or a green-yellow, but the choices are few.

crafterrn1 06-03-2011 08:06 AM

I am aware of the I hate yellow group. I think it is a bright and popping addition to a quilt. Esp. in applique quilts! You need yellow in the center of flowers. I truely love yellow and any color that makes my work pop! Luann

DanaNVa 06-03-2011 08:39 AM

Some folks (like blondes) can't wear yellow. I know whenever I wear is, I'm always told that "I'm sorry you don't feel well today." So, I associate it with something that doesn't make me look good and shy away from it. I use alot of cream instead of white, so I guess I could check the "yellow" box when I use cream?

Linn 06-03-2011 09:07 AM

I love yellow with orange and reds

BrendaK 06-03-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by vickimc
I have never made an all yellow quilt. but I like some yellow in most of my quilts. adds a little pop here and there. but there is nothing wrong with yellow. It is a hard color for people to wear. it looks better on dark skin people that pale skin. go for it.

:lol: I haven't used yellow in anything I have sewn. When my son was small his teacher gave the class a project.She wanted them to put colors to people. My son said that I reminded him of the color yellow. This suprised me as I never wear the color (too pale) and there was nothing in our home that was yellow. (Maybe some flowers) When asked why he picked that color he said because I was sunny, happy and bright and so was yellow. Guess I will rethink this. Thanks for making me think about this. BrendaK

Sallyflymi 06-03-2011 09:29 AM

Love yellow. Hopefully we will see more of the color around here. Thanks for asking a good question.

laynak 06-03-2011 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just finishing a quilt that has lots of yellow....the fabrics were all cut for a D9P & then I thought there was no way they'd work. I was about to dump them all & use something else. Yet, it turned out surprisingly well.
As cold as CA has been, I'll be able to use it this summer.

D9P for Summer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206088[/ATTACH]

lillybeck 06-03-2011 10:17 AM

It does seem that yelllow is one of the least favorite colors but I would make a whole quilt of it because it is my favorite color. I often put it into baby blankets.

Matilda 06-03-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Have noticed that yellow is not a very popular color for quilts. Is there a specific reason for this? It's cheerful, happy and sunny.

It is my very favorite color!