Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Width of bindingg (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/width-bindingg-t104598.html)

quilticing 03-06-2011 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lobster
I haven't read the whole thread, but am I the only person using 1 1/2" strips for single-fold binding? I was taught to cut single-fold at four times the finished width of the binding plus 1/4" for the folds. I use thin batting, which I suppose would make a slight difference, usually 1/16" loft (poly or cotton).

I've read most of the replies and would encourage you to double your binding. When the edge starts to wear, you'll have the life of the quilt almost doubled for just an extra 1/2" or so of fabric per strip.

bigsister63 03-06-2011 08:45 AM

I cut muine 2 3/4". That extra 1/8" after folding makes turning easier!

Lobster 03-06-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing

Originally Posted by Lobster
I haven't read the whole thread, but am I the only person using 1 1/2" strips for single-fold binding? I was taught to cut single-fold at four times the finished width of the binding plus 1/4" for the folds. I use thin batting, which I suppose would make a slight difference, usually 1/16" loft (poly or cotton).

I've read most of the replies and would encourage you to double your binding. When the edge starts to wear, you'll have the life of the quilt almost doubled for just an extra 1/2" or so of fabric per strip.

Right now I'm hand-sewing everything, I have limited hand strength, and to be honest I don't know if I'd manage to sew through an extra layer to make double-fold binding. I've been making sure that I'm using sturdy fabrics for the bindings, though. There's also the issue of cost (I am very broke and fabrics cost around £10/m in the UK), especially since I'd often have to order in more fabric if I were to double the binding. I've seen a lot of people simply use the backing fabric as binding, and that's not doubled over and may not even be good quality fabric, so I assumed that single-fold should be sufficient.

How long does it usually take bindings to wear out?

Vat 03-06-2011 01:01 PM

Depends on how you are going to use the quilt. If it is a walling hanging and not going to be USED, if it is for display or if it is a utility quilt and going to be USED lots. If you cut your binding on the straight of grain or on the bias and if you doubled your binding or just have single.

Vat 03-06-2011 01:04 PM

Depends on how you are going to USE your quilt. Is it a walling hanging, display or a utility quilt? Also if your binding is cut on the straight of grain or on the bias and if you do a single or double fold binding?

Riversong 03-06-2011 01:07 PM

2 1/2 for larger items/2 1/4 for smaller ones

Joset 03-07-2011 02:18 PM

the quilting classes we took last summer we were taught to use 2 1/4, but the bigger quilt i am in the process of making now i been thinking about 2 1/2

mayday 03-09-2011 10:35 AM

3 inches and double it, have done 2 1/4 and used single with unmitred corners.

misoop 03-18-2011 01:42 PM

2 1/4....except when I have a really thick quilt and/ or batting.....then 2 1/2"

sahm4605 03-18-2011 01:57 PM

I think that I am defiantly in the minority. I am actually getting ready to sew the binding to the back of a quilt and I cut this binding at 5" and folded in half to 2 1/2" add in the 1/4" seam and folding it inhale again and this binding ends up being about 1 and a smidge inches. I am either doing it totally wrong or I don't know what. But I like a thicker binding. It seems to finish and balance a quilt better. But that is me.