Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will this make a good Kaleidoscope quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-make-good-kaleidoscope-quilt-t197971.html)

jodimarie 08-19-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5451055)
Stack and whack is the way I would go, the fabric is perfect for that!!

if she has never done a S&W, the 4 patch posey is so much easier. layer 4 fabric repeats, and cut into into strips and then sub cut into squares ( 3 inch stirps = 3 inch squares = 6 inch blocks OR 4 inch strips = 4inch squares = 8 inch blocks ) then I add a nice solid or tone on tone sashing stirps with the main focus fabric as cornerstones. The posey blocks have just as much WOW factor as the S&W but are much much easier.......IMO!

gramajo 08-19-2012 01:33 PM

Stack N Whacks are not that difficult. Just be precise in cutting and stitching. You'll have fun seeing the design that emerges when laying out each kaleidoscope.

jodimarie 08-19-2012 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=gramajo;5452314]Stack N Whacks are not that difficult. Just be precise in cutting and stitching. You'll have fun seeing the design that emerges when laying out each kaleidoscope.

I agree, the S&W is easy but the 4 patch posey is just that, a 4 patch, nice square blocks, plain and simple!! You can turn each each block 4 different ways to get 4 different looks!!!!

DeneK 08-20-2012 02:17 PM

There is a wonderful tute on this board for OBW (one block wonder) which is a form of kaleidoscope. Step by step and very well explained. Also many examples of this type of quilt in the quilt gallery. This is on my bucket list but don't know when I'll get to it.

Holice 08-20-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5449631)
The fabric has a 12" repeat and I have 5 yards. I've not made a kaleidoscope before but I'm so in love with the ones I've seen on this board. How hard are they? Anyone want to trade work - I cut a quilt for you - you cut this for me (I'm actually kinda serious!)?

OK. after all the answers I will ask some questions about do you have enough fabric. I don't know of any fabric (and I certainly don't know everything) that the true repeat is only 12". The true repeat is usually 24-27" or so.
Therefore, before you cut into the fabric - select the specific pattern you want to use. You have the 4 patch posy and then any number of configuerations in kaleidscope. I am not sure it will make the original Stacn-N-Whack which requires 6.5 yds to make. So check to make sure the 12" repeats are the same or slightly different.
That is why you can't use both sides of the fabric for many of the kaleidscope designs as while the repeat looks the same it is slightly off. So decide the pattern, check carefully the repeats and especially if you have enough yardage for the design.

maryb119 08-20-2012 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5451055)
Stack and whack is the way I would go, the fabric is perfect for that!!

I totally agree.

lynnie 08-20-2012 04:15 PM

YES ive seen this done fab fabric forthat

nonnie60 08-20-2012 07:53 PM

Yes fantastic, Please post when it's done.

liont 08-21-2012 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5455152)
OK. after all the answers I will ask some questions about do you have enough fabric. I don't know of any fabric (and I certainly don't know everything) that the true repeat is only 12". The true repeat is usually 24-27" or so.
Therefore, before you cut into the fabric - select the specific pattern you want to use. You have the 4 patch posy and then any number of configuerations in kaleidscope. I am not sure it will make the original Stacn-N-Whack which requires 6.5 yds to make. So check to make sure the 12" repeats are the same or slightly different.
That is why you can't use both sides of the fabric for many of the kaleidscope designs as while the repeat looks the same it is slightly off. So decide the pattern, check carefully the repeats and especially if you have enough yardage for the design.

I would like to know, for S&W, 6.5 yards is required - what is the final size of the quilt?