Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will this make a good Kaleidoscope quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-make-good-kaleidoscope-quilt-t197971.html)

joyce888 08-18-2012 12:31 PM

Will this make a good Kaleidoscope quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
The fabric has a 12" repeat and I have 5 yards. I've not made a kaleidoscope before but I'm so in love with the ones I've seen on this board. How hard are they? Anyone want to trade work - I cut a quilt for you - you cut this for me (I'm actually kinda serious!)?

burchquilts 08-18-2012 12:38 PM

Yes! This would be a fabulous kaleidoscope! I've made several & think this would be great! No... they're not hard at all (if I can make one, trust me... anyone can). I do mine kind of different in that I cut each layer separately which takes longer but I find I get better results that way. Which pattern do you plan to use? Another good use of this would be in a "Posy Patch" (I think it's called). I love your fabric!

jodimarie 08-18-2012 01:02 PM

YES, this will make a FABLOUS stack and wack quilt or a 4 patch posey. If we were closer, I would pick up this fabric from you, cut it, sew it and send it back to you ready to be sandwiched and quilted!!!!!! S&W and the 4 patch posey are some of my fabrics.....IF.....the fabric is big and bold. I would use black set in triangles for the SW for more ''punch''

joyce888 08-18-2012 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5449639)
Yes! This would be a fabulous kaleidoscope! I've made several & think this would be great! No... they're not hard at all (if I can make one, trust me... anyone can). I do mine kind of different in that I cut each layer separately which takes longer but I find I get better results that way. Which pattern do you plan to use? Another good use of this would be in a "Posy Patch" (I think it's called). I love your fabric!

I'm in the process of re-arranging my sewing room and can't put my hands on the book I've got but saw this fabric as I was sorting fabric to sell. I thought about cutting them one at a time, sounds like it would make it easier to match up the pattern. I'm just so scared to start cutting. Is the Posy Patch a four-patch? And is this going to be so busy that I will need to mix in some calmer kaleidoscopes in another fabric? I just can't get a good vision of the finished quilt.

joyce888 08-18-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie (Post 5449688)
YES, this will make a FABLOUS stack and wack quilt or a 4 patch posey. If we were closer, I would pick up this fabric from you, cut it, sew it and send it back to you ready to be sandwiched and quilted!!!!!! S&W and the 4 patch posey are some of my fabrics.....IF.....the fabric is big and bold. I would use black set in triangles for the SW for more ''punch''

Jodimarie I'm a Kansas City transplant (from a burb on the MO. side)! Oh how I wish we were close! Not sure where or how you're saying to use the black; I thought the background was black but it's actually a dark navy blue.

burchquilts 08-18-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5449694)
I'm in the process of re-arranging my sewing room and can't put my hands on the book I've got but saw this fabric as I was sorting fabric to sell. I thought about cutting them one at a time, sounds like it would make it easier to match up the pattern. I'm just so scared to start cutting. Is the Posy Patch a four-patch? And is this going to be so busy that I will need to mix in some calmer kaleidoscopes in another fabric? I just can't get a good vision of the finished quilt.

Yep... Posy Patch is just 4 squares (any size you want them to be) that all are cut from the same spot on the fabric. Then you arrange them into a 4-patch & you've got an awesome quilt started!

P, S: you're from KC? I'm originally from KS... kinda the same! I LOVE KC! When I was a little girl, we went to the American Royal every fall. And Xmas on the Plaza? Heck, any time on the Plaza! Heaven!!!

jodimarie 08-18-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5449716)
Jodimarie I'm a Kansas City transplant (from a burb on the MO. side)! Oh how I wish we were close! Not sure where or how you're saying to use the black; I thought the background was black but it's actually a dark navy blue.

when you make a kalidascope, it is a 6 piece block, made with 60 degree triangles and you need seting triangles to put it all together. You could use dark blue instead of black but you need, IMO, a nice solid place to let your eyes rest because the main fbric is so busy....but busy in a GOOD way!!!!

gramajo 08-18-2012 06:09 PM

That will make an awesome stack n whack.

bstock 08-18-2012 06:13 PM

The colors would work great!!

Jackie Spencer 08-19-2012 05:19 AM

Stack and whack is the way I would go, the fabric is perfect for that!!