Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will this.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-t49178.html)

bearisgray 06-10-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I would also resew and make it a smaller size stitch for reinforcement. On the outside mark this spot with something so you remember to quilt heavily over it.

Ditto on this!! Ask me how I know,lol! It's easier to fix now than after the fact.

Ditto!

Pineapple Princess 06-10-2010 07:28 PM

I would stitch over it again. Better be safe then sorry...

deranged_damsel 06-10-2010 07:35 PM

you dont even have to unpick the whole thing, break the thread where the black starts to take a dip, ease the fabric UP just a bit... and resew!

oatw13 06-10-2010 07:39 PM

I would stitch over it again for reinforcement. I would also do as someone else said and zig zag the edges to help it hold together.

I would also consider ironing on a piece of light-weight interfacing over the area in question if I am really concerned about it unravelling.

You will thank yourself later.

quilterj 06-11-2010 02:12 AM

Thank you everyone. Yes I think I will stitch over it again.
It is a quilt top. Now I just have to add the borders. No it is not a craz quilt. It is done in batiks.

dsb38327 06-11-2010 02:38 AM

Good morning,
Your photos are excellent and your encounter is more common than we want to think. You were at the top of your game to notice it was happening and address it then and there. I did a California King that had seams fray in the wash after it was completed. I have slip stitched what I could get to but can not get very close to the 4 corners seams to stitch. I chalked it up as good experience but now I will be on guard as you were.
Regards, Dorothy

patricej 06-11-2010 02:51 AM

this happens to me more often than i'd like. :roll:

you have nooooooo idea how much i wish i didn't know the solution. :lol:

if the skimpy seam is because the pieces weren't lined up correctly, then it's definitely time to pick out the wonky spots, realign and restitch. otherwise, your patches might not lay properly when it's time for quilting.

if it's because there wasn't enough fabric in that spot for the two pieces to line up properly, then restitching will also throw your blocks out of shape. so ... time for Plan B:

-treat the skimpy parts with a fray blocking product; once that's dry ...
-treat that section with a fabric glue that is washable and that will dry clear and not shiny. make sure to treat it from the back.

by double-treating the trouble spots, you shouldn't have to worry about future fraying or unexpected "parting of the ways".

Holice 06-11-2010 03:12 AM

it may or may not work. I would take it out and press edges and carefully reposition and pin so it won't slip.
then sew very slow to make sure the edges match. I took a class recently in precision piecing and the instructor said the next seam is only as good as the last one.

littlehud 06-11-2010 07:46 AM

I would redo that small section. Or at least double stitch it. It will save you headaches later.

craftybear 06-11-2010 08:13 AM

I would stitch over it again (or just rip the small area out and resew!