Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will this..

I did a scant 1/4 on this. Then I pressed it open and found that there isn't much fabric on the one side.The threads have raveled. Will this come out or do you think it will be ok?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will it be used a lot? It may be okay if it is quilted heavily

Power Poster
    How much would you have to redo to sew it over?

If it's already raveling - - - -

Blog Entries
    I am thinking if you quilt over the spot .. or stitch 1/4 around the block when quilting, it will be fine. Just my thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Is this a crazy quilt?

Banned
    You could stitch over it again for a little reinforcement.

I did a quilt sometime back and it was made of a loosely woven fabric, I serged over the edges and you can't tell from the front. There wasn't a noticable bulk. It was also easy to hand quilt over. Use a fine thread and zig-zag the edge, it's better than having to repair it later.

Blog Entries
    I would also resew and make it a smaller size stitch for reinforcement. On the outside mark this spot with something so you remember to quilt heavily over it.

I think it will be fine once it is quilted.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I would also resew and make it a smaller size stitch for reinforcement. On the outside mark this spot with something so you remember to quilt heavily over it.
    Ditto on this!! Ask me how I know,lol! It's easier to fix now than after the fact.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Ditto on this!! Ask me how I know,lol! It's easier to fix now than after the fact.
    Ditto!

I would stitch over it again. Better be safe then sorry...

you dont even have to unpick the whole thing, break the thread where the black starts to take a dip, ease the fabric UP just a bit... and resew!

I would stitch over it again for reinforcement. I would also do as someone else said and zig zag the edges to help it hold together.

I would also consider ironing on a piece of light-weight interfacing over the area in question if I am really concerned about it unravelling.

You will thank yourself later.

Thank you everyone. Yes I think I will stitch over it again.
    It is a quilt top. Now I just have to add the borders. No it is not a craz quilt. It is done in batiks.

Blog Entries
    Good morning,
    Your photos are excellent and your encounter is more common than we want to think. You were at the top of your game to notice it was happening and address it then and there. I did a California King that had seams fray in the wash after it was completed. I have slip stitched what I could get to but can not get very close to the 4 corners seams to stitch. I chalked it up as good experience but now I will be on guard as you were.
    Regards, Dorothy

Blog Entries
    this happens to me more often than i'd like. :roll:

you have nooooooo idea how much i wish i didn't know the solution. :lol:

if the skimpy seam is because the pieces weren't lined up correctly, then it's definitely time to pick out the wonky spots, realign and restitch. otherwise, your patches might not lay properly when it's time for quilting.

if it's because there wasn't enough fabric in that spot for the two pieces to line up properly, then restitching will also throw your blocks out of shape. so ... time for Plan B:

-treat the skimpy parts with a fray blocking product; once that's dry ...
    -treat that section with a fabric glue that is washable and that will dry clear and not shiny. make sure to treat it from the back.

by double-treating the trouble spots, you shouldn't have to worry about future fraying or unexpected "parting of the ways".

Banned
    it may or may not work. I would take it out and press edges and carefully reposition and pin so it won't slip.
    then sew very slow to make sure the edges match. I took a class recently in precision piecing and the instructor said the next seam is only as good as the last one.

I would redo that small section. Or at least double stitch it. It will save you headaches later.

Blog Entries
    I would stitch over it again (or just rip the small area out and resew!

Will fray check help?

I am a big believer in Fray Check for exactly this type of situation. I am never with out a bottle in my machine table drawer. Sometimes you just have to fray check it , and move on.
    Note a little bit goes a long way. Use the tip to apply only in the seam allowance area. Put a small amount on the edge, and wait for just a few seconds as it will "wick" just a bit, before adding any additional. Do not iron Fray check while wet. Put enough to "coat" just the seam allowance area to the stiching line, do not go over , past the allowance as fray check does tend to darken the fabric .

Blog Entries
    I am with Patrice and Holice, when this happens it will throw off your block. Unfortunately it does mean some unsewing....

i made a reversible quilt similar to the
    fun and Done and apparently i didnt have a very good seam allowance on the one side b/c i've had to repair it at least in a dozen places. if you can fix it now-do it

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    I did a scant 1/4 on this. Then I pressed it open and found that there isn't much fabric on the one side.The threads have raveled. Will this come out or do you think it will be ok?
    Yeah, I'd do it over, but also I'd be concerned that the block size would be off, if the seam is too small.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast