Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wonder under lite (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wonder-under-lite-t63393.html)

leatheflea 09-06-2010 01:46 PM

Currently using wonder under lite on a raw edge applique. Its already letting go and I havent even finished putting the blanket stitch around all the pieces. My concern is how is this going to hold up. This is the first raw edge that I've done and the second applique that I've done. Should I dry clean only?

donnajean 09-06-2010 01:58 PM

I prefer Steam n' Seam 2.

sharon b 09-06-2010 02:08 PM

Try reattaching with the iron

Scissor Queen 09-06-2010 02:45 PM

If you use a wet pressing cloth and steam it on wool it's more permanent.

overallquilter 09-06-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Currently using wonder under lite on a raw edge applique. Its already letting go and I havent even finished putting the blanket stitch around all the pieces. My concern is how is this going to hold up. This is the first raw edge that I've done and the second applique that I've done. Should I dry clean only?

Lea, once you have blanket stitched it you won't need the adhesive.
Read the manufacture's instructions, you might have over heated it and that's why it's not sticking.

Aimee

leatheflea 09-07-2010 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I prefer Steam n' Seam 2.

I'm using steam a seam tape for the vine and it does seem to be holding better. Might have to try it for the whole project next time.

leatheflea 09-07-2010 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Try reattaching with the iron

Thats what I've been doing just so I can sew it down. Was planning on giving this away but now I might keep it just so I won't be embarrassed when it falls apart.

leatheflea 09-07-2010 02:20 AM

I think this falls under the topic "lessoned learned the hard way"

ghostrider 09-07-2010 02:35 AM

You might just have some old Wonder Under. The adhesive has a shelf life. You also may have misread the directions. :oops:

I use 805 all the time and have never had it lift off even a little bit with no edge stitching at all. I used to use Steam-a-Seam2 Lite and got tired of not being able to hand stitch through it and having my machine needles get all gummy. I like Wonder Under much better than any other fusible available.

freezeframe03 09-07-2010 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
You might just have some old Wonder Under. The adhesive has a shelf life. You also may have misread the directions. :oops:

I use 805 all the time and have never had it lift off even a little bit with no edge stitching at all. I used to use Steam-a-Seam2 Lite and got tired of not being able to hand stitch through it and having my machine needles get all gummy. I like Wonder Under much better than any other fusible available.

I'm still using a bolt of Wonder Under without any problems that I purchased some 17 years ago, so I'm not sure what the shelf life is. I think it's more about how the area you have used it on is being treated and for how long before you get to sewing it down. As someone already said, once it is sewn down, the adhesive doesn't matter anymore.