Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wonder under lite

Currently using wonder under lite on a raw edge applique. Its already letting go and I havent even finished putting the blanket stitch around all the pieces. My concern is how is this going to hold up. This is the first raw edge that I've done and the second applique that I've done. Should I dry clean only?

I prefer Steam n' Seam 2.

Blog Entries
    Try reattaching with the iron

If you use a wet pressing cloth and steam it on wool it's more permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Currently using wonder under lite on a raw edge applique. Its already letting go and I havent even finished putting the blanket stitch around all the pieces. My concern is how is this going to hold up. This is the first raw edge that I've done and the second applique that I've done. Should I dry clean only?
    Lea, once you have blanket stitched it you won't need the adhesive.
    Read the manufacture's instructions, you might have over heated it and that's why it's not sticking.

Aimee

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I prefer Steam n' Seam 2.
    I'm using steam a seam tape for the vine and it does seem to be holding better. Might have to try it for the whole project next time.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Try reattaching with the iron
    Thats what I've been doing just so I can sew it down. Was planning on giving this away but now I might keep it just so I won't be embarrassed when it falls apart.

I think this falls under the topic "lessoned learned the hard way"

You might just have some old Wonder Under. The adhesive has a shelf life. You also may have misread the directions. :oops:

I use 805 all the time and have never had it lift off even a little bit with no edge stitching at all. I used to use Steam-a-Seam2 Lite and got tired of not being able to hand stitch through it and having my machine needles get all gummy. I like Wonder Under much better than any other fusible available.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    You might just have some old Wonder Under. The adhesive has a shelf life. You also may have misread the directions. :oops:

I use 805 all the time and have never had it lift off even a little bit with no edge stitching at all. I used to use Steam-a-Seam2 Lite and got tired of not being able to hand stitch through it and having my machine needles get all gummy. I like Wonder Under much better than any other fusible available.
    I'm still using a bolt of Wonder Under without any problems that I purchased some 17 years ago, so I'm not sure what the shelf life is. I think it's more about how the area you have used it on is being treated and for how long before you get to sewing it down. As someone already said, once it is sewn down, the adhesive doesn't matter anymore.

Why would it matter if the wonder under holds the applique in place once you sew it down? Won't the stitching hold it in place, thus you do not NEED any fusible? as long as you ysed a quality fabric that is not going to fall apart then your applique shouldn't either!

Blog Entries
    you still have to stitch your applique pieces when using fusable unless it is a wall hanging which will not be washed at all. and if you took a cotton quilt to a dry cleaners for cleaning they would wash it!
    as long as you stitch your appliques down they will hold up just fine. fusable is only a tool to hold the peices in place so you can stitch them down. there are some that are permenent bonds that do not need stitching; those are very strong, stiff and about impossible to stitch through...by machine or hand.

If you didn't prewash your fabric or did and used fabric softner that could also be the problem. Next time, prewash and don't use fabric softner.

Blog Entries
    I was told not even fabric dyer sheets