Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The wonders of a walking foot! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wonders-walking-foot-t18310.html)

BabkaGal 03-30-2009 09:52 AM

I just had a great quilting weekend, and I definitely owe it all to my new walking foot!

I have a fairly old Kenmore sewing machine, which didn't come with a walking foot. About two years ago, I bought a generic "deluxe" walking foot on eBay. Sadly, it had nothing but problems. The motion was shaky and the needle hole was misaligned, so I ended up breaking needles constantly. I gave up and resigned myself to puckered quilts.

Due to reading about walking feet on the boards over the past few weeks, I tried again and bought a "basic" model on eBay. What a difference! Although it is flimsier than the other foot, it works smoothly and easily! I was able to finish up a quilt over the weekend (I'll post it in the "photos" section once the binding is finished). Thanks to everyone for posting to the boards...you've saved my quilts.

quiltingbee12 03-30-2009 09:56 AM

Good for you!!!

rosemary128 03-30-2009 10:01 AM

Glad to hear you had good luck! I had a Viking machine before and bought a generic walking foot. I didn't like the feel of it - seemed like it was bouncing all over and uncontrollable. I hope that the walking foot with my new Bernina is a different story.

Good luck with your project! Hope it is a lot of fun.

sewjoyce 03-30-2009 11:04 AM

So glad to hear that you finally got a walking foot that would actually work properly! They are almost a "must have" if you're going to quilt!! (Use it to sew your binding on with too.... :-) )

Chele 03-30-2009 11:06 AM

Woo hoo! Your perserverance paid off! This board is so helpful. I can't wait to see your creations.

RedGarnet222 03-30-2009 11:08 AM

I agree the walking foot is absolutely the best foot for a quilter the machine has to offer. I am so glad you tried again with another model foot. I love mine for my bernina, it is wonderful.

Matching up fabric patterns such as plaids is a breeze with that foot during regular sewing too. You will love using it .... Congratulations on your new foot.

Darlene 03-30-2009 11:17 AM

I had never heard of a walking foot until last year I got mine thru one of the catalogs and I love it. My machine is a Singer slant so it was kind of hard to figure out but it works great.

littlehud 03-30-2009 11:35 AM

Oh, the walking foot is a gift from the Gods. I love mine.

hulahoop1 03-30-2009 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Glad you had some success with it! Isn't technology really amazing?

hulahoop1 03-30-2009 03:08 PM

A friend of mine was making 6 quilts for various family members and was complaining about how much time it took to hand baste them. Assuming she had one, dummy me, I asked if she was using a walking foot. She looked at me like I was from another planet. She'd never heard of one. Told her to go to the Bernina store and "test drive" one. She ended up buying one even tho she swore she was going to have to go hungry for weeks to pay for it. She got the remaining 3 quilts done that weekend.