Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wool applique on flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wool-applique-flannel-t304568.html)

sarge1 05-06-2019 06:15 AM

wool applique on flannel

I'm working on a wool appliqué quilt. The local quilt shop owner suggested I use a flannel background for the blocks, which I love. When I add the sashing between the blocks do I use flannel again, or would cotton work?
thanks in advance.

*edited to specify that my concern with using cotton is if the differing weights/fabric types with cause an issue. I haven't worked with flannel, so i just don't know.

Ariannaquilts 05-06-2019 06:23 AM

It's your quilt so whatever looks best to you, personally I would probably continue with the same! I can't wait to see your finished quilt.

ckcowl 05-06-2019 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used flannel to put mine together- I wanted to keep it the same softness and weight. It turned out wonderful.to me regular cottons would take away from the look and feel. But, lay out some regular cotton and see what you think.
this is my wool appliqué on flannel
the red/ black 1/2 square triangles are red and black flannels

Kelsie 05-06-2019 08:35 AM

ckcowl that is absolutely gorgeous. Wow. I have never worked with flannel either. I am wondering if you washed it first - is there any chance of bleeding? I am thinking this would be a wall hanging? I can't stop looking at it.
Sarge1 I don't mean to highjack your thread I am just mesmerized by ckcowl's

Peckish 05-06-2019 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kelsie (Post 8249846)
I am wondering if you washed it first - is there any chance of bleeding?

Flannel is notorious for shrinking a lot, so I would definitely recommend washing it first.

sarge1 05-06-2019 12:04 PM

No worries, I agree, the quilt is stunning! Especially set against the black. And, I'm getting good information, such as washing the flannel first! ugh, too late for me...

jokir44 05-06-2019 12:36 PM

Sarge, if you use a good grade of flannel, you will not have problems with not washing first. At least I haven't. I have made two wool appliqué on flannel with flannel sashing and they came out of the wash wonderfully. one was a bed quilt and the other a large throw. I did use cold water wash with color catchers as insurance against color transfer.

carolynjo 05-08-2019 05:20 AM

I'd wash/shrink it more than once.

ckcowl 05-08-2019 07:54 AM

Yes, I prewashed the flannel. It is a really nice, double sided Benartex flannel. No bleeding. No, it is not a wall hanging. I actually made 3 of these for beds 1 in in a house built in 1785 in Connecticut the other two reside in Houston Texas

ckcowl that is absolutely gorgeous. Wow. I have never worked with flannel either. I am wondering if you washed it first - is there any chance of bleeding? I am thinking this would be a wall hanging? I can't stop looking at it.

Kelsie 05-11-2019 01:40 PM

Sarge1: Black comes in a lot of different tones or intensities, if you change fabric one of your blacks may look paler than the other. Regular cotton will definitely reflect the light differently than the flannel.
ckcowl: That style of quilt must look absolutely wonderful in the Connecticut house.