Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: wool applique on flannel

wool applique on flannel

I'm working on a wool appliqué quilt. The local quilt shop owner suggested I use a flannel background for the blocks, which I love. When I add the sashing between the blocks do I use flannel again, or would cotton work?
    thanks in advance.

*edited to specify that my concern with using cotton is if the differing weights/fabric types with cause an issue. I haven't worked with flannel, so i just don't know.
    Last edited by sarge1; 05-06-2019 at 06:34 AM.

It's your quilt so whatever looks best to you, personally I would probably continue with the same! I can't wait to see your finished quilt.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    I used flannel to put mine together- I wanted to keep it the same softness and weight. It turned out wonderful.to me regular cottons would take away from the look and feel. But, lay out some regular cotton and see what you think.
    this is my wool appliqué on flannel
    the red/ black 1/2 square triangles are red and black flannels
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

ckcowl that is absolutely gorgeous. Wow. I have never worked with flannel either. I am wondering if you washed it first - is there any chance of bleeding? I am thinking this would be a wall hanging? I can't stop looking at it.
    Sarge1 I don't mean to highjack your thread I am just mesmerized by ckcowl's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    I am wondering if you washed it first - is there any chance of bleeding?
    Flannel is notorious for shrinking a lot, so I would definitely recommend washing it first.

No worries, I agree, the quilt is stunning! Especially set against the black. And, I'm getting good information, such as washing the flannel first! ugh, too late for me...

Sarge, if you use a good grade of flannel, you will not have problems with not washing first. At least I haven't. I have made two wool appliqué on flannel with flannel sashing and they came out of the wash wonderfully. one was a bed quilt and the other a large throw. I did use cold water wash with color catchers as insurance against color transfer.

I'd wash/shrink it more than once.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I prewashed the flannel. It is a really nice, double sided Benartex flannel. No bleeding. No, it is not a wall hanging. I actually made 3 of these for beds 1 in in a house built in 1785 in Connecticut the other two reside in Houston Texas

ckcowl that is absolutely gorgeous. Wow. I have never worked with flannel either. I am wondering if you washed it first - is there any chance of bleeding? I am thinking this would be a wall hanging? I can't stop looking at it.
    Last edited by ckcowl; 05-08-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Sarge1: Black comes in a lot of different tones or intensities, if you change fabric one of your blacks may look paler than the other. Regular cotton will definitely reflect the light differently than the flannel.
    ckcowl: That style of quilt must look absolutely wonderful in the Connecticut house.