Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wool applique-part 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wool-applique-part-2-a-t302947.html)

sarge1 02-11-2019 06:26 PM

wool applique-part 2

First time working with wool-can't say I'm loving it. How do you adhere your wool appliqué pieces to the background-can you use heat-n-bond? Glue stick? The pattern instructions say to position each piece and sew it down one by one. So I have to take it to the lightbox and line it up on the pattern each time I have a leaf to sew down??

JustAbitCrazy 02-12-2019 03:49 AM

I've not worked with wool, but can't you pin down several pieces at a time on the light box? A friend does wool applique and the pieces are not glued at all, simply stitched around the edges by hand or machine. She probably either pins or thread bastes them in place by hand beforehand.

ckcowl 02-12-2019 04:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve always used appliqué pins. I love working with wool appliqué. I know some people do use fusible or fabric glue, I tried it once and was not successful and found the pieces much more difficult to stitch through with the fusible, pins work for me. I stitch pieces that are over each other to each other first, then stitch to the background.
Heres my first wool appliqué quilt * Backyard Gathering * from Primitive Gatherings quilt shop.
i placed vines/ stems then arranged leaves and everything else just by looking at the layout.

dlv 02-12-2019 06:18 AM

Check out Quilt Roadies video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPkAnMwvRHE
She gives a lot of good info on prepping your wool applique. There is also a Wool Applique group on facebook.
I use Heat n bond lite or Fine fuse. I've had no problems stitching through either one. Some people staple the pieces-I found mine still shifted with that method. Glue sticks just don't work on wool. Good luck & happy stitching!

Doggramma 02-12-2019 08:10 AM

I’ve been using a dab of Elmers School Glue on the back and on floppy pieces, like flower petals. It’s important to not get it too close to the edge as it’s a little harder to get the needle through it. Previously I’ve used Roxanne’s glue, can’t remember the exact name; it has a pin point tip to just make a tiny dot of glue. I let the Elmers glue dry overnight. The Roxannes glue dries pretty quickly. My instructionx say to use something like Steam A Seam, but my arthritic fingers can’t handle the extra pushing needed for stitching. I mark the shape then iron freezer paper to the wool to cut out the pieces. As for positioning, I eye ball it. If I need to stay within a certain parameter, like 8x8, I mark those edges. I love working with wool applique.

CarolinePaj 02-12-2019 05:01 PM

I use soft fuse... amazing stuff and if I can't get that I use Steam a Seam Lite 2. you can them iron on all the pieces at the same time and get on with your sewing.

Hugs

Caroline

sarge1 02-12-2019 06:31 PM

Thank you all, super helpful! I have calmed down, and started over. ckcowl, your quilt is beautiful! And a good reminder of why I wanted to give wool appliqué a try.

Donna2595 02-15-2019 02:13 PM

Hello, I love your quilt. I just started gathering wool for a project I would like to do. I've never appliqued before and wondered if you or anyone else could help me. The project I want to do is by Erica Kaprow called "Everythings Blooming". I like the fact I can do a square at a time, so if I don't complete the entire quilt I will still be happy. My question is the pattern calls for 2 yard of black 100% wool for the flower background and borders. I don't no where to by wool by the yard. I saw one place that sells it but I am not sure exactly what to buy. There are different types. The one I am interested in says "merino wool". Can you or anyone out there help me find this so I can get started? I am excited about my new hobby and I am glad I found the Quilting Board:o

Doggramma 02-15-2019 05:50 PM

Donna2595- you want to use felted wool. Not felt. I’m not familiar with Merino wool or whether if it’s felted. One place to check is Primitive Gatherings. They have tons of wool. I know they sell on-line.

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 02-15-2019 07:10 PM

Gorgeous quilt.