Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: wool applique-part 2

wool applique-part 2

First time working with wool-can't say I'm loving it. How do you adhere your wool appliqué pieces to the background-can you use heat-n-bond? Glue stick? The pattern instructions say to position each piece and sew it down one by one. So I have to take it to the lightbox and line it up on the pattern each time I have a leaf to sew down??

I've not worked with wool, but can't you pin down several pieces at a time on the light box? A friend does wool applique and the pieces are not glued at all, simply stitched around the edges by hand or machine. She probably either pins or thread bastes them in place by hand beforehand.

Blog Entries
    I’ve always used appliqué pins. I love working with wool appliqué. I know some people do use fusible or fabric glue, I tried it once and was not successful and found the pieces much more difficult to stitch through with the fusible, pins work for me. I stitch pieces that are over each other to each other first, then stitch to the background.
    Heres my first wool appliqué quilt * Backyard Gathering * from Primitive Gatherings quilt shop.
    i placed vines/ stems then arranged leaves and everything else just by looking at the layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

dlv
    Check out Quilt Roadies video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPkAnMwvRHE
    She gives a lot of good info on prepping your wool applique. There is also a Wool Applique group on facebook.
    I use Heat n bond lite or Fine fuse. I've had no problems stitching through either one. Some people staple the pieces-I found mine still shifted with that method. Glue sticks just don't work on wool. Good luck & happy stitching!

I’ve been using a dab of Elmers School Glue on the back and on floppy pieces, like flower petals. It’s important to not get it too close to the edge as it’s a little harder to get the needle through it. Previously I’ve used Roxanne’s glue, can’t remember the exact name; it has a pin point tip to just make a tiny dot of glue. I let the Elmers glue dry overnight. The Roxannes glue dries pretty quickly. My instructionx say to use something like Steam A Seam, but my arthritic fingers can’t handle the extra pushing needed for stitching. I mark the shape then iron freezer paper to the wool to cut out the pieces. As for positioning, I eye ball it. If I need to stay within a certain parameter, like 8x8, I mark those edges. I love working with wool applique.
    Lori

I use soft fuse... amazing stuff and if I can't get that I use Steam a Seam Lite 2. you can them iron on all the pieces at the same time and get on with your sewing.

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

Thank you all, super helpful! I have calmed down, and started over. ckcowl, your quilt is beautiful! And a good reminder of why I wanted to give wool appliqué a try.

Hello, I love your quilt. I just started gathering wool for a project I would like to do. I've never appliqued before and wondered if you or anyone else could help me. The project I want to do is by Erica Kaprow called "Everythings Blooming". I like the fact I can do a square at a time, so if I don't complete the entire quilt I will still be happy. My question is the pattern calls for 2 yard of black 100% wool for the flower background and borders. I don't no where to by wool by the yard. I saw one place that sells it but I am not sure exactly what to buy. There are different types. The one I am interested in says "merino wool". Can you or anyone out there help me find this so I can get started? I am excited about my new hobby and I am glad I found the Quilting Board

Donna2595- you want to use felted wool. Not felt. I’m not familiar with Merino wool or whether if it’s felted. One place to check is Primitive Gatherings. They have tons of wool. I know they sell on-line.
    Lori

Gorgeous quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge1 View Post
    First time working with wool-can't say I'm loving it. How do you adhere your wool appliqué pieces to the background-can you use heat-n-bond? Glue stick? The pattern instructions say to position each piece and sew it down one by one. So I have to take it to the lightbox and line it up on the pattern each time I have a leaf to sew down??

Check out Fusamat...videos and Facebook.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I wanted to say "thanks" for telling me about Primitive Gatherings. I was able to talk with them and located the wool I was looking for. My order arrived quickly and it's so beautiful, I hate to cut it. I think I should have researched how expensive my new hobby was going to be before getting involved, but so far I am so excited! I have even tried my hand at felting some wool from a jacket I loved that was attacked by a moth. I thought I had gotten rid of the jacket but found it in my scrap bag. I was really excited when I found it as I really loved that jacket. Anyway, thank you again for your help.

Blog Entries
    I love wool applique but am just getting started myself. Fig tree quilts has lots of bright soft colors. I signed up for their wool bom hoping that if I have it broken down for me, I will be able to do it.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Donna2595 View Post
    I wanted to say "thanks" for telling me about Primitive Gatherings. I was able to talk with them and located the wool I was looking for. My order arrived quickly and it's so beautiful, I hate to cut it. I think I should have researched how expensive my new hobby was going to be before getting involved, but so far I am so excited! I have even tried my hand at felting some wool from a jacket I loved that was attacked by a moth. I thought I had gotten rid of the jacket but found it in my scrap bag. I was really excited when I found it as I really loved that jacket. Anyway, thank you again for your help.
    A less expensive way is to use Woolies Flannel for the background and applique felted wool to the flannel. I will often use Woolies Flannel on the backs of runners and table mats. Looks much like wool but much less expensive. I prefer 100% wool,but sometimes the budget doesn't allow for it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
    A less expensive way is to use Woolies Flannel for the background and applique felted wool to the flannel. I will often use Woolies Flannel on the backs of runners and table mats. Looks much like wool but much less expensive. I prefer 100% wool,but sometimes the budget doesn't allow for it.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    I’ve always used a good quality double sided black flannel for my background with wool appliqué for large quilts. Wool yardage is as much as $60 a yard. I love stitching my appliqué to the flannel and it makes a really nice quilt.
    fabric.com is one place to purchase wool yardage if you really want wool.
    i use wool for small projects. I made (3) different { Backyard Gathering) Quilts like the one I showed, all on flannel with flannel backing too.

A
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna2595 View Post
    Hello, I love your quilt. I just started gathering wool for a project I would like to do. I've never appliqued before and wondered if you or anyone else could help me. The project I want to do is by Erica Kaprow called "Everythings Blooming". I like the fact I can do a square at a time, so if I don't complete the entire quilt I will still be happy. My question is the pattern calls for 2 yard of black 100% wool for the flower background and borders. I don't no where to by wool by the yard. I saw one place that sells it but I am not sure exactly what to buy. There are different types. The one I am interested in says "merino wool". Can you or anyone out there help me find this so I can get started? I am excited about my new hobby and I am glad I found the Quilting Board
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I go to Goodwill stores and find wool skirts or jackets and felt the wool myself. Cut the clothing apart at the seams and felt. The only drawback is that you get a lot of each piece/color. I look at where the clothing is seamed and decide if that piece is large enough. I once bought a rather large winter coat and felted it. I have enough of that color to last me forever.