Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wool Batting Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wool-batting-advice-t287123.html)

sval 03-28-2017 02:51 AM

Wool Batting Advice

I have a queen size quilt that is very heavily pieced. It is already a bit heavy. Usually I'm a Warm and Natural Gal. But The combination is just too heavy.
Anyone have any advice about Wool Batting? I read a review that said it beards really bad causing an unsightly mess. Especially on dark fabric.

If not wool, what other batting would be fairly light, but not chintzy.

quilterpurpledog 03-28-2017 03:14 AM

I will come back later to see the posts for this thread as I have a wool batt that I want to use in my next quilt. I hope your comment about bearding is not correct.

grammasharon 03-28-2017 03:33 AM

I was gifted a wood batt and used it in a full sized bed quilt. So far I have not seen any bearding on it and many of the fabrics are dark. It is on a guest bed and doesn't get used all too frequently but has been used several times. I like it because it isn't so heavy and the quilting on it is very pronounced. I liked the wool.

PaperPrincess 03-28-2017 03:41 AM

I have used a couple different brands of wool batting without any issues. I think the bearding problem was with older batts that weren't needled. Double batting with wool on top is a common selection for high end show quilts. I don't think they would do this if bearding were still an issue.
Wool is a wonderful batting to use. Light weight, but breathable. Cool in the summer & warm in the winter.

Sheri.a 03-28-2017 04:38 AM

I use Hobbs wool for most of my quilts. I have had no bearding issues. I have always used quality fabric.

anonymous 03-28-2017 05:40 AM

Is washing completed quilts with wool bat a problem? I am watching this thread too as I also have a heavily pieced top that I was considering wool. It is going to my adult daughter, but I don't think she would be as careful with washing it down the road.

Jane Quilter 03-28-2017 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7793113)
I have used a couple different brands of wool batting without any issues. I think the bearding problem was with older batts that weren't needled. Double batting with wool on top is a common selection for high end show quilts. I don't think they would do this if bearding were still an issue.
Wool is a wonderful batting to use. Light weight, but breathable. Cool in the summer & warm in the winter.

What effect does the double batting do?

profannie 03-28-2017 06:35 AM

I use wool very often for my quilts. It shrinks quite less than coton, so when a customer want a smoother look for his/her quilt, I use wool. I also use it for wall hanging as it gives a lighter quilt and a wonderful definition to the quilting design. I used a high quality polyester batting recently and found it bearded. I never had this issue with wool. My daughter's baby quilt was made with a wool batting. The quilt has been heavily used for 7 years, washed and dried every week, and is still beautiful.

DogHouseMom 03-28-2017 06:35 AM

The quilt on my bed (which is what you call heavily pieced) has a Hobb's Tuscany 100% wool batt. I've washed it more than a few times in a non-agitator washer. No bearding. Wool is my preferred batting. I get better quilting definition and I love the properties of wool in that it is breathable - warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It is also a more supple batting than W&N, the drape is lovely.

joe'smom 03-28-2017 06:39 AM

I have only used Quilter's Dream wool batting. One of the quilts, which I have been hand quilting over a period of time, has black on the front, and the batting is bearding through. The other quilt I washed and dried in the dryer, and it came out fine (was light colored fabrics on top with a white backing). Next time I try wool, it will be Hobbs. I really love the Hobbs Tuscany wool-cotton blend; it's my favorite batting so far. It is very soft and cushy and seemed quite lightweight to me.