Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Working with stencils (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/working-stencils-t313189.html)

SusieQOH 11-21-2020 07:38 AM

Working with stencils

Hi everyone,
I just completed a quilt using stencils and Crayola markers and it went very well.
But here's my question:

Do you find that most designs require you to travel stitch a lot?
I just checked Urban Elementz and they have a nice selection for domestic machines and longarms.
I use my Bernina. This quilt I mentioned required a lot of travel stitching and I just wanted to know if
that's the norm.
Upon washing the quilt- the stitching looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Any info is appreciated. I like using stencils.

EmiliasNana 11-21-2020 09:18 AM

Susie: I think it depends on the stencils. I have several that don't require traveling along previous stitching lines, but like you stated, it always looks better once washed and crinkled. I also use Bottom Line thread on both the top and bottom as it eliminates the thread build up of thicker threads. Hope this helps. I often do free motion but have trouble keeping my motifs similar sizes or start out too small and then spend hours quilting these small motifs across the entire quilt. Following a stencil line is much less stressful for me and seems to provide the needed spacing for a secure but still soft and supple result.

juliasb 11-21-2020 09:28 AM

I think much depends on the stencils. I have some that have no traveling issues and a couple that have many. The worst are feather designs. I love working with stencils.. Once the quilt is washed it looks far better. Just be sure to lock your stitching.

SusieQOH 11-21-2020 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana (Post 8435391)
Susie: I think it depends on the stencils. I have several that don't require traveling along previous stitching lines, but like you stated, it always looks better once washed and crinkled. I also use Bottom Line thread on both the top and bottom as it eliminates the thread build up of thicker threads. Hope this helps. I often do free motion but have trouble keeping my motifs similar sizes or start out too small and then spend hours quilting these small motifs across the entire quilt. Following a stencil line is much less stressful for me and seems to provide the needed spacing for a secure but still soft and supple result.

Nana, it does help. I bought that thread specifically for this. I need to examine the stencils and try to figure them out. I know some are better than others. I really like stencils. I do much better than freehand. Thanks :)
Julia- thanks for your input too :)

Tartan 11-21-2020 11:26 AM

I try to limit my back track stitching to patterns I can use my ruler foot and rulers on. I back track better with a ruler.

SusieQOH 11-21-2020 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8435434)
I try to limit my back track stitching to patterns I can use my ruler foot and rulers on. I back track better with a ruler.

I love ruler work!! But I'm at the beginning stage using them. I'm determined to become more than a hand quilter only :)

sewingsuz 11-21-2020 01:57 PM

I have done some stencil that I had to travel a bunch and did not like it. I also have some stencils that do one square and then travel in the ditch.

quiltingshorttimer 11-21-2020 02:34 PM

depends so much on the stencils--some aren't even intended to be continual and then there's lots of stops/starts.