Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with stencils >

Working with stencils

Working with stencils

Old 11-21-2020, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Default Working with stencils

Hi everyone,
I just completed a quilt using stencils and Crayola markers and it went very well.
But here's my question:

Do you find that most designs require you to travel stitch a lot?
I just checked Urban Elementz and they have a nice selection for domestic machines and longarms.
I use my Bernina. This quilt I mentioned required a lot of travel stitching and I just wanted to know if
that's the norm.
Upon washing the quilt- the stitching looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Any info is appreciated. I like using stencils.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:18 AM

Susie: I think it depends on the stencils. I have several that don't require traveling along previous stitching lines, but like you stated, it always looks better once washed and crinkled. I also use Bottom Line thread on both the top and bottom as it eliminates the thread build up of thicker threads. Hope this helps. I often do free motion but have trouble keeping my motifs similar sizes or start out too small and then spend hours quilting these small motifs across the entire quilt. Following a stencil line is much less stressful for me and seems to provide the needed spacing for a secure but still soft and supple result.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:28 AM

I think much depends on the stencils. I have some that have no traveling issues and a couple that have many. The worst are feather designs. I love working with stencils.. Once the quilt is washed it looks far better. Just be sure to lock your stitching.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
Susie: I think it depends on the stencils. I have several that don't require traveling along previous stitching lines, but like you stated, it always looks better once washed and crinkled. I also use Bottom Line thread on both the top and bottom as it eliminates the thread build up of thicker threads. Hope this helps. I often do free motion but have trouble keeping my motifs similar sizes or start out too small and then spend hours quilting these small motifs across the entire quilt. Following a stencil line is much less stressful for me and seems to provide the needed spacing for a secure but still soft and supple result.
Nana, it does help. I bought that thread specifically for this. I need to examine the stencils and try to figure them out. I know some are better than others. I really like stencils. I do much better than freehand. Thanks
Julia- thanks for your input too
Old 11-21-2020, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

I try to limit my back track stitching to patterns I can use my ruler foot and rulers on. I back track better with a ruler.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I try to limit my back track stitching to patterns I can use my ruler foot and rulers on. I back track better with a ruler.
I love ruler work!! But I'm at the beginning stage using them. I'm determined to become more than a hand quilter only
Old 11-21-2020, 01:57 PM

I have done some stencil that I had to travel a bunch and did not like it. I also have some stencils that do one square and then travel in the ditch.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:34 PM

depends so much on the stencils--some aren't even intended to be continual and then there's lots of stops/starts.