Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   worn out pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worn-out-pins-t61854.html)

MaryStoaks 08-28-2010 10:27 AM

I put them in an old margarine tub with all the other sharps that I toss. I sure notice the difference when using new, sharp pins. It's almost as good as using a new rotary blade.

mzsooz 08-28-2010 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
If they are straight pins and such I rub(?) the pointy point against my scalp and that usually gets them going again :thumbup:

OUCH!

Maybe I'm picturing this wrong?

BellaBoo 08-28-2010 11:11 AM

When a pin seems dull or bent I drop it in a small diabetic used needle container I bought at the drugstore for a couple of dollars. It's been years and that container is not full yet. No one will mistake these containers for anything else.

EdieClay 08-28-2010 11:22 AM

I'm going with MinnieKat's suggestion ... from now on I am going to sacrifice and buy safe M&M containers and eat the M&Ms first, then use the container to properly dispose of sharps.

Tink's Mom 08-28-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I put them in a prescription bottle and toss them in the trash.

Great idea but I would suggest one step further and take them not to the trash but with you to your next doctors appointment and ask the assistant if they minded disposing of them in their "sharps container". They usually don't mind. and safe for everyone.

I do the same with my pins and needles...

watterstide 08-28-2010 11:54 AM

those sharps containers cost a fortune to dispose of..according to the hospital.
i gave myself shots for 2 weeks, and decided to take the "sharps container" i had, to the hospital for disposal, and they about had a fit..they had to call about 3 different people in on the conversation, before i could leave them there.
i showed them the script i had, and it came from them,after surgery. :roll:

i think it would take a long time to fill a container..twice a year in my city, we have hazardous waste day..thinking maybe they will take them.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-28-2010 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I put them in a prescription bottle and toss them in the trash.

Silly me -- I went to the store and bought a container of mini M&M's, ate the M&M's, and use the container for my sharps...

I love your idea wink, wink

Theresa 08-28-2010 11:59 AM

I put them in an empty Tic-Tac container and dispose of them with my husbands insulin syringes (sharps container). The cute little lid is perfect for opening and closing and it doesn't take up too much room.

clem55 08-28-2010 01:37 PM

that is something I never even thought about. glad it came to my attention .

pab58 08-28-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by EdieClay
I'm going with MinnieKat's suggestion ... from now on I am going to sacrifice and buy safe M&M containers and eat the M&Ms first, then use the container to properly dispose of sharps.

:lol: :lol: :lol: