Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   worn out pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worn-out-pins-t61854.html)

Favorite Fabrics 08-28-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I put them in a prescription bottle and toss them in the trash.

Silly me -- I went to the store and bought a container of mini M&M's, ate the M&M's, and use the container for my sharps...

I like the way you think!! :-D

mic-pa 08-28-2010 01:48 PM

I had my DH drill a hole in the top of a medicine container and all my needles, pins, etc go in there. When it is full I just have him make me another one.

azwendyg 08-28-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat
Silly me -- I went to the store and bought a container of mini M&M's, ate the M&M's, and use the container for my sharps...

I like the way you think!

Stitchnripper 08-28-2010 02:06 PM

I love the excuse to eat even more M&Ms! Not that I need one, but, here I go dating myself - I used to put stubborn diaper pins into a bar of soap to keep them going (pre Pampers days) - I do that with the pins. Gives new life to most of them, but, I had a few safety pins that had no sharp point at all!! I closed them up and put them in the trash.

bjnicholson 08-28-2010 02:06 PM

Yes, I'm going to throw myself under the bus and go the M&Ms route. And, of course, I'll be doing it for all the right reasons 8->

lindyline 08-28-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
If you have a 'strawberry' pin cushion, the little strawberry has something (I'm not sure what it is) that will sharpen your pins. When I have a stubborn pin, I stab it a couple of time in the little strawberry and lo and behold it works so much better. If that does not work, then into the container(trash) it goes.

I never throw pins or blades in the trash, without them going into a 'safety' container first. I keep a old altoids box next to my sewing machine just for them.

The something you're referring to, is emery, same as the usefull stuff on an emery board(cardboard nail file). Very useful for helping to sharpen blunt pins and needles.
And you're all correct, old pins/needles should go the way of a "sharps"bin, be it at the local doctors office, hospital or dentist. Over here, we are fined if there are any sharps in our garbage bins.

redkimba 08-28-2010 03:13 PM

Thank you for the ideas - esp. the M&M one...

I was putting them into a piece of paper so I could put it in the recycle bin, but maybe it's better that I just put them in the trash.

I don't do the "living green", but I can't abide waste. Must be a leftover from my grandparents who lived through the Great Depression. ::shrug::

no1jan 08-28-2010 05:59 PM

I was told this by my Mom, long gone. Stick the pin, needle, etc into a bar of soft soap. It makes it glide through the fabric like new!

I have found this to be true and keep a bar of soap in a plastic bag whenever I am hand sewing. That way, I know it will always glide!

littlehud 08-28-2010 06:03 PM

I use an old pill container too. I never thought of taking them with me to work and disposing of them there.

ganny 08-28-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz

Originally Posted by sharon b
If they are straight pins and such I rub(?) the pointy point against my scalp and that usually gets them going again :thumbup:

OUCH!

Maybe I'm picturing this wrong?

Actually it is the hair that sharpens the pin.