Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-mistake-you-ever-made%7Bquilting%7D-t104667.html)

stitchntimesewing 03-04-2011 03:50 AM

squaring my lap quilt on a shared table at a quilt class (not enough room) another corner folded under and i cut the edge of my last outside sash a deep 4 inch cut. Hince my quilt ended up quit a bit smaller than I wanted it to be. Big lesson learned.

redmadder 03-04-2011 04:02 AM

I couldn't think of any mistakes till I started reading. Yep, done em all at one time or another. Like yesterday, turned the corner triangles on a Kansas Troubles the wrong way, not once, not twice, but three times. Fer gosh sakes, there's only three side to a triangle!

libertykm 03-04-2011 04:19 AM

I was making a raggy quilt for my GD. I put on the binding and the next day took it to her. My DD looked at it and started laughing. I had forgotten to put the last border on one side of the quilt. I told her I wasn't going to fix it and that my GD will remember what a ditzy blonde her grandma was. She loves the quilt. I hope she remembers me whenever she looks at it in the future when I'm gone.

Dortha 03-04-2011 05:20 AM

I've never told this before, but here goes. When I was in my twenties, having never sewn much of any kind, I bought a dresden plate kit.I thought , how hard can it be, everything is ready to sew. I SEWED THE CENTER IN AS ANOTHER PIECE instesd of applicaying it on.What a mess !

sew_sew 03-04-2011 05:27 AM

Worst thing I ever did was give up for 8 years.

ywoodruff5 03-04-2011 05:33 AM

I never make "mistakes" - just have "creative opportunities" ... and have had lots of them.....lol. Cut noticeable hole in Laurel Birch quilt I was making for fair.....so I did embroidered butterfly on top of it - worked great. On back of same quilt (which used hot ribbon applique on front) I had long, winding tuck.....I put hot ribbon over tuck and added leaves and a fish for label....looked like it was intentional. There is always a solution and sometimes we just need to walk away for a bit.

MrsM 03-04-2011 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
I cut the back of my quilt while snipping threads to remove it from the sewing machine. I had to put the label in a creative spot!

I did that on a quilt front and sewed snowflakes on it to hide the cuts. :oops:

gmaybee 03-04-2011 05:53 AM

I teach quilting and also make samples for the store I work at. I finished a sample top and took it in to send it to the owner before they display it. I was teaching that day and all the students wanted to see the quilt. I unfolded it and held it up for the students to see and noticed that right in the middle of the quilt I had turned one of the blocks a 1/4 turn. I ended up spending my lunch taking it out and sewing it in the correct direction. I guess I showed my students that no matter how long you have been quilting you can still make mistakes.

SandraD 03-04-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Piecing about 30 miles of strips together with no bobbin thread.... sigh.

Jan in VA

Been there, done that......

BMP 03-04-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by kem77

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Piecing about 30 miles of strips together with no bobbin thread.... sigh.

Jan in VA

:lol:

Dont you know that is referred to as "Practice Sewing" ???