Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would like your opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-like-your-opinions-please-t233238.html)

gabeway 10-27-2013 04:36 AM

I like the layout and do think a border would make a better finish to it.

quiltingeileen 10-27-2013 04:40 AM

I would also add a border. It helps frame the quilt in.

zozee 10-27-2013 04:41 AM

You've probably found your solution by now. My only suggestion was to separate those two darkest blocks that touch. that being said, there could well be a reason you put them together. What helps to stand back a few feet and squint at the quilt. You will see shades and shapes that are more noticeable than when your eyes are open and taking in details

I really like your color choices and the fabrics. Nice job. Isn't it fun? I feel so at home here on the QB, knowing I'm in good company with other people going "nuts" by moving blocks around a jillion and one times. Sooner or later you will feel settled on your pattern. May have to walk out of the room for a while and back in. Usually the first response you have is the right one.

Lavada 10-27-2013 05:20 AM

It's your quilt so do it to please you show us when its finished it is very pretty

BettyGee 10-27-2013 07:14 AM

Tartan has pointed out the only change needed. I would like a dark red border to set it off. You should be super proud, it is a very pretty quilt.

MargeD 10-27-2013 07:45 AM

It looks fine to me. I think I would use a red, if you have enough, for the border or at least a narrow first border. Love your colors and fabrics.

wildyard 10-27-2013 12:15 PM

My comment is that if you are trying to have a pattern with your "rail fence" type blocks, I would review that. What I see is that most of the layout is in a repetitive pattern with only a few squares not in compliance. If you are going for a random look, perhaps I am seeing order where none was intended.
What I see is that in the first row, the split blocks go "="=, and in the next row, they are opposite ="=". This results in the blocks going in a diagonal from top to bottom across the quilt. The few blocks that are not in this pattern would bother me, since most of the layout follows it.
To correct it and have the diagonals in order, the following blocks would need to be turned 1/4 turn: 3rd row, block 1; 5th row, blocks 1 and 3; 6th row, block 2; 7th row, blocks 1 and 3; 8th row, block 2 and the last one on the row.
Now of course, if this is not what you were going for, and I am way out of line, lol, just ignore all that and mix them up any way you like. As others have said, the main thing is that it's your quilt and what matters most is that you are happy with it.
Your colors are fabulous and I think you can't go wrong in choosing any for borders. I like the ideas given of a narrow than a wider but a single would also work. It's going to be a beautiful quilt when you finish!!!!

Just wanted to add, I find my most helpful tool to be a photo that I can look at on the computer and am always amazed at how those little things stand out for me there that I can't seem to see on the design wall.

grandjan 10-28-2013 09:29 AM

This is going to be really pretty. I won't duplicate the suggestions already made but did want to tell you how pretty I thought it was. I like borders and might use a double border in coordinating solids with this quilt but it would also be pretty and simple without anything added. I think that quilts without borders look a little more vintage.

mpspeedy2 10-28-2013 10:24 AM

I like to piece as little as possible so I would add borders to make it bigger rather than mess with more squares. It looks great as is.

Caroline in Mo. 10-28-2013 11:09 AM

I would add borders...there is something about framing a quilt that makes it look more finished,,,but it's your quilt and there are no rules.Do what makes you happy! I do!