Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would You Have Bought This? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-have-bought-t90193.html)

Lneal 01-13-2011 06:58 PM

What exactly do you mean by felting it? When you use it for applique does it ravel if you don't turn it under? It had a tweed look too.
I think I am heading back to the Goodwill tomorrow :-D :-D

deema 01-13-2011 07:01 PM

I have an old red wool blanket that I plan to use as batting for a quilt some day.

deema 01-13-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
I am in Canada, and the Hudson's Bay Company (oldest company in Canada, I think) was a fur trading company and had wool blankets with stripes on the ends on them. Most were white with red, black, green and blue stripes. Some were red and are considered quite rare and worth quite a bit of money. The red ones only have a black stripe on each end. Worth several hundred dollars.

Tell me you're kidding? Seriously, I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the red one I have is exactly as you describe...

Edit to add - I checked, it is not a Hudson's Bay blanket, but IS pretty much exactly as you described. It's made by another Canadian company, though - Horn Brothers. Some quick searching tells me that these blankets are often mistaken for HBC blankets because the label on it has a big "HB" on it. lol

lclang 01-13-2011 08:10 PM

When my oldest daughters left home they left me with a closet full of wool jackets, skirts, slacks, etc. I cut them apart and washed them in batches of the same or nearly the same colors. If they shrunk I ditched them. If they washed well I cut them into blocks and made quilts. They were the warmest, cuddliest quilts you could imagine.

koko 01-13-2011 08:35 PM

I've seen some lovely felted purses - that might have worked for this

Liz aka Helen 01-13-2011 08:58 PM

My Mother has her Grand mothers quilt that was made back in South Wales back in the 1900's. It is very heavy, scrappy quilt. It's innards is made from a wool blanket that was from the shipping yard that was close by. If I remember the story correctly.

ewecansew 01-13-2011 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by deema

Originally Posted by ewecansew
I am in Canada, and the Hudson's Bay Company (oldest company in Canada, I think) was a fur trading company and had wool blankets with stripes on the ends on them. Most were white with red, black, green and blue stripes. Some were red and are considered quite rare and worth quite a bit of money. The red ones only have a black stripe on each end. Worth several hundred dollars.

Tell me you're kidding? Seriously, I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the red one I have is exactly as you describe...

Edit to add - I checked, it is not a Hudson's Bay blanket, but IS pretty much exactly as you described. It's made by another Canadian company, though - Horn Brothers. Some quick searching tells me that these blankets are often mistaken for HBC blankets because the label on it has a big "HB" on it. lol

Do the Horn blankets have a good value? I've not heard of them.

danece 01-13-2011 10:24 PM

You could make some mug rugs or maybe pin cushions, or even a red heart door hanger, you know the kind that have a couple of hearts hanging from a ribbon with maybe a blanket stitched edge

thenonnielady 01-14-2011 02:36 AM

An old friend in Cleveland would collect wool fabric, from thrift stores, and make quilts from the pieces.

Aurora 01-14-2011 02:45 AM

Without hesitation. Wool makes great pincushions, as well as so many other crafty items.