Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Have Bought This?

I was at the local Goodwill store today and found a deep red wool blanket for $2.99. I wonder if I should have bought it. I kept thinking there was something crafty I could have made with it. I know wool at the lqs is expensive.

No. I havn't used wool blankets. Others might have....

watch out for red it could bleed

Blog Entries
    If it doesn't bleed, you can use it as batting.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I don't know. I'm always concerned about red bleeding and with wool I would want to have it cleaned so I probably wouldn't have bought it at a thrift shop.

Blog Entries
    Wool could be felted and then used for some beautiful applique. I would have purchased it.

One of my former quilting buddies used wool blankets for batting. She didn't use red, but didn't seem to have problems with the other colors. I'm guessing she washed the quilts after they were quilted. She never said there was a problem and we didn't think to ask.

That's interesting to know that wool could be used as batting. It feels heavy to me. This blanket looked like it had been washed too and was smaller than a twin size. Still thinking about what else could be done with it.

Don't know about the wool blanket but I sure would like to have some of that Pineapple Upside Down cake. Looks Delicious!

You can felt it and make a nice bag or purse or felt it and cut out flower appliques.

A woman just showed me a felted wool purse she made......after seeing that, yes, I'd have bought it!!! And felted it and made a purse!!! :)

why can't you use it as a blanket?

Sounds like someone may have begun the felting/shrinking process. I definitely would have bought it....wash it some more and maybe use as batting in a rag quilt (would be great for winter) or as others have suggested bags, flower appliques, felted buttons to trim a quilt (nicer than real ones, you don't get them sticking in to you)....Endless possibilities....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The one and only quilt my mother (and I) ever made was with wools and tweeds cut into 4" squares for the one side and all cottons cut into 4" squares for the other side.
    And -
    It's still in good shape after 40+ years! Very heavy, very warm wonderful memories. All the fabrics were scraps from all the clothes she had made over the years.

Blog Entries
    I scoop up all quality wool items at thrift shops. It's the best to appliqué! It is every expensive at the quilt shops a fat quarter runs about $6-$8 for the dyed wool. That's silly to pay that. I have found many gorgeous colors of wool once I started looking for it.

I love buying wool at the Salvation Army. I've felted some and made a wonderful wool lap quilt for my fil. He's in a wheelchair now and has to be pushed a few blocks to dialysis. The wool really keeps his legs warm. I found a great men's wool jacket the other day - interesting rust/amber color. Man bought it to wear though :) He did look good in it.

Good find, of course have it cleaned or wash in cold water and air dry. Throw in a white rag to see if it bleeds if you're worried about that.

Just an off the wall question that bothers me from time to time: if we pick up stuff like jackets, coats, sweaters to cut up and use for other things like quilts or crafts, are we depriving warm clothing to those who can't afford to shop elsewhere? I know, I am very anal sometimes.

I am in Canada, and the Hudson's Bay Company (oldest company in Canada, I think) was a fur trading company and had wool blankets with stripes on the ends on them. Most were white with red, black, green and blue stripes. Some were red and are considered quite rare and worth quite a bit of money. The red ones only have a black stripe on each end. Worth several hundred dollars.

I would have bought it.

I would of bought it! There is so much that can be done with it! Wash in hot water, toss in dryer, make a bag, purse, appliques, scarves, mittens, fabric roses..... the list is endless!

What exactly do you mean by felting it? When you use it for applique does it ravel if you don't turn it under? It had a tweed look too.
    I think I am heading back to the Goodwill tomorrow :-D :-D

I have an old red wool blanket that I plan to use as batting for a quilt some day.

Quote Originally Posted by ewecansew
    I am in Canada, and the Hudson's Bay Company (oldest company in Canada, I think) was a fur trading company and had wool blankets with stripes on the ends on them. Most were white with red, black, green and blue stripes. Some were red and are considered quite rare and worth quite a bit of money. The red ones only have a black stripe on each end. Worth several hundred dollars.
    Tell me you're kidding? Seriously, I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the red one I have is exactly as you describe...

Edit to add - I checked, it is not a Hudson's Bay blanket, but IS pretty much exactly as you described. It's made by another Canadian company, though - Horn Brothers. Some quick searching tells me that these blankets are often mistaken for HBC blankets because the label on it has a big "HB" on it. lol

When my oldest daughters left home they left me with a closet full of wool jackets, skirts, slacks, etc. I cut them apart and washed them in batches of the same or nearly the same colors. If they shrunk I ditched them. If they washed well I cut them into blocks and made quilts. They were the warmest, cuddliest quilts you could imagine.

I've seen some lovely felted purses - that might have worked for this

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast