Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you join a bus trip to a quilt guild show? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-join-bus-trip-quilt-guild-show-t296084.html)

D.Henson 04-09-2018 07:46 PM

I would definitely give it a try. When I take a long bus ride, I always sit in the front seat if possible. I tend to get car sick when I’m in the back of a bus. You can always bring hand sewing or read.

Krisb 04-09-2018 08:01 PM

Have worked the show (in Duluth) and it was quite wonderful. Bring headphones if the bus noise bothers you. The busses now are not as nausea-inducing as they once were. There is always Dramamine. Get there early so you can sit up front. If you look straight ahead instead of seeing things go by sideways, it reduces or eliminates motion sickness

Tothill 04-09-2018 08:25 PM

I am not fond of bus travel, but I am not against it either. Quilt Canada comes to Vancouver at the end of May, several guilds and shops have organized bus tours. I am volunteering, so I will already be there.

I live on an Island and there are regular bus trips to Ikea for the day, includes the ferry trip. I have not done that, but I know others who have and really enjoyed it.

Candied ginger can help too. I give that to my kids and eat it myself on long trips. It helps to settle tummies, but without the drowsiness.

I love meeting new people, I never worry about travelling by myself, I always meet someone along the way.

Jane Quilter 04-09-2018 08:35 PM

Yes, go for it. You will always meet new wonderful people. Hopefully, there are other singletons, because I am annoyed when everyone else shows up with a buddy. Bring head phones and/or hand stitching to entertain yourself if the trip is too long.

sewbizgirl 04-09-2018 09:55 PM

Why don’t you give it a try? Then and only then will you know if you like it. Other people’s experiences will vary.

Jennifer23 04-09-2018 09:59 PM

I have done bus trips like this before. The first time I did it I was unsure whether to take the bus or drive, but I was glad I took the bus on the way home. After 6 hrs of looking at quilts (and shopping!), I was happy to be a passenger. If it's a proper coach, not just a school bus, it's a comfortable ride.

I didn't know anyone on the first trip, but everyone sitting near me was friendly. I brought a book, but ended up chatting and playing games instead of reading. The guild that organized the trip did a great job of planning bus fun.

I suggest you try it! Sit closer to the front to reduce the chance of motion sickness. Modern buses aren't nearly as loud or shaky as old ones, and I find them less claustrophobic than airplanes. There is usually a bathroom, which is nice. I suspect you will be fine, and then you will know if it suits you for the future.

Whichever way you go, enjoy the show!

Gay 04-09-2018 11:15 PM

I did the bus trip to a craft & quilt show a few years back and vowed never again. Large bus and the other passengers were great company, but it was the bus company who ran it, not a shop or guild.
We left the depot at 7am, and after picking up others at several stops in town it was 8.30 when finally on our way - so we were 1 ½ hours late for opening time. The venue was a huge building as there were several conference rooms so had to walk a loooong way from the bus stop to get in. Although the doors closed at 4.30 we had to leave at 3pm so didn’t see averything - I guess so the driver could finish work at 5, and on the verge of needing hip surgery getting all that way back to the bus in a hurry was painful and exhausting. Would have been better off driving myself.

ArtsyOne 04-10-2018 02:14 AM

I've done it - as a previous poster said, after a full day of walking around the show you will appreciate being able to just sit and let someone else drive. Bring a book to read or listen to, or interact with the people around you - either is acceptable.

If you decide to drive, parking won't be an issue. The show is held at the St. Cloud conference center with a large parking ramp right across the street - accessible by a skyway if it happens to be raining. I've been to the St. Cloud show and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Wanabee Quiltin 04-10-2018 03:02 AM

I’ve taken a bus trip three times to Paducah, maybe a three hour drive. The bus was great and I always sat in the front. I met other quilters and generally had a good time. It’s nice to get on the bus and rest after All the walking. I had to get up at 4:30 and got home at 11:00 pm, a very long day, but it was worth it.

SillySusan 04-10-2018 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by D.Henson (Post 8037313)
I would definitely give it a try. When I take a long bus ride, I always sit in the front seat if possible. I tend to get car sick when I’m in the back of a bus. You can always bring hand sewing or read.

Sitting toward the front of the bus may be a good idea, but skip the trying to sew or read. Not good for car sickness, but definitely go. I've been on bus trips where I didn't know anyone and enjoyed them. People with interests in common have fun together. You might make a few new friends with folks in your neck of the woods. Enjoy!!