Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-t145986.html)

suzette1954 08-19-2011 08:18 AM

Is he going to sell them for you or are you supposed to find the buyers? I agree with going slow at first and see how it goes. There is so much time and love put into the quilts. You have to decide on the prices you would need.

bearisgray 08-19-2011 08:22 AM

Split the profit 50-50?
or
split the total proceeds 50-50?

My gut reaction was "no"

Macie 08-19-2011 08:56 AM

Without a question... especially since the times are the way they are and you being on a fixed income. GO FOR IT

Farm Quilter 08-19-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Eloise
They are more than willing to pay me and once I quoted a possible price (the hand quilted ones I suggested $350.00 to $400.00 each and the T shirt one I said $300.00 and they both said "fine". YIKES! I think I might have started something!

Unless they are wall hangings, you WAY under-valued your time! Hand quilting is very time consuming and I think you are going to be working for less than a penny an hour! As a long-arm quilter, I charge $0.015 per square inch for an easy E2E design that I can usually get finished in a day or less. You should figure out how long it takes you to quilt 12" square inches, pay yourself $15-20 an hour, and price your quilting that way. Hand work is under-valued and under paid, but oh so beautiful when done well!

Katy 08-19-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by A1penny
Katy,

Your quote at the end made me really laugh! I never heard that one before. I'm going to make a print out and hang it above my stash!!!!

"She who dies with the most fabric wasn't sewing fast enough".

I am glad u like it. I have quite a few cute quilt related sayings and I love a good laugh. Makes the day go better. I have a t shirt that says

Cooking and cleaning is for people who have not discovered quilting yet

And another that says

I quilt therefore I am

Yet another that says

To quilt is human, to finish divine.

I just love it. One of my favs has a girl symbol like the stick fiquire on a girls restroom sign. She looks like she is moving fast and has a crazy look on her face. In her upraised hand is a rotary cutter. It says serial quilter. Makes me laugh every time I see it. Have a fun day. From KT, KT THE QUILTING LADY who is currently doing everything she can to put the FUN back in dysFUNctional. God bless

misscarol 08-19-2011 09:07 AM

Everyone is offering good advice.

reginalovesfabric 08-19-2011 09:27 AM

try one or two then you'll know but yes I'd do it

janallyn 08-19-2011 09:28 AM

he buys the fabric (ie materials in total), you supply the labor (which is intensive), in my opinion, you take the cost (his expense), remove it, then figure your labor, i know what it is like to be undervalued, and broke, but you might find yourself working for fifty cents an hour if you are luck, if you look at the books "quilt in a day" log cabin for example, they take more than a day, look at what a good handmade quilt (handquilting) would really cost, i assume that is what you are planning, how many stitches to an inch? billions, i love the idea, but for other than art quilts i believe you will not be happy with the arrangement, do you have anyone in your area/family that can give you good legal advice, do not enter a contractual agreement without it, we all love to have our work admired, and appreciated, then sometimes a carrot dangles in front of us, and it is hard to get by on almost nothing, i wish you well

be careful, my instinct is to say yes to one, and test the waters, but nothing else, your pattern, your choice, and see how it goes, do not forget the time to wash (water/soap), to dry, to iron, to press the points (elec), and so on, plus all else goes into a fabric creation

jan in florida

edited due to the elec and water

Iamquilter 08-19-2011 09:38 AM

If you live on a busy street or highway you could put up a sign and sell your quilts that way and take all the money rather than share it. Just a thought, as that is what I do and have repeat customers all the time.

sandwich child 08-19-2011 09:46 AM

I'm with Julie R. Especially important is a legal contract spelling out every parameter you can think of - and have it approved by an attorney. The benefactor needs to be aware that a quilt is not something you make in an hour or a day; therefore, production is limited.