Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you?

At my sons baby shower, after they showed the quilt I made for my grandson that is due in Oct. When they were told by my son that I made it,When the shock wore off. A man told me he would invest in my quilting. He told me he would buy my material and stuff and me make the quilts, we would sell them and split the money. I am on a fixed income and can only spend so much on my hobby. I know he is well off, God knows I could use some extra income, If he is willing to buy the materials and help sell them would you take a chance?

Blog Entries
    I'd be half way through the first quilt by now! DO IT! :)

Start slowly and see how it goes. Give him a couple first to see how they sell. I say GO FOR IT!! and good luck.

I would start with something small as having to give up 1/2 the profit is pretty high when it is hard to make a profit on quilts to begin with. Make sure you keep track of your time put in & set up an hourly rate that you both agree on.

Blog Entries
    Get every detail in writing

Quote Originally Posted by mizkyp
    Start slowly and see how it goes. Give him a couple first to see how they sell. I say GO FOR IT!! and good luck.
    ditto

Sounds like a good deal to me, but recommend following all advice posted.

I like the idea - you invest your time but aren't out any money, and have an opportunity to do something you love and make money doing it.

Do you know this person? Whether you do or don't, a business contract is essential. It should include things like, what types of products you plan to sell, how many units per month are you expected to provide, what quality of materials is he expected to purchase, what costs will be deducted from earnings before profits and payments are determined... You get the idea.

The concern would be if he doesn't think you're working fast enough; if he has invested in materials that are now in your possession he could exert a lot of pressure on you. Perhaps it would be better for him to commission quilts from you and then sell them on his own?

Just thinking out loud. It's an amazing opportunity, just be sure to protect yourself while grabbing it with both hands. :)

All of the advice given is excellent! Especially if you are on a fixed income. You get to do something you love AND get paid!

But if he expected a quilt every time from you like the one you made for the baby (your avatar), would that wear you out? I don't know what other quilts you have done but this baby quilt is magnificent! I couldn't do that!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Great advice by all- good for you!! Let us know how it works out :)

Also, you must see the sales slip !! This person saw your work, thinks it`s good, and I`m sure he wants to make something for selling them. He must have clients who can afford them. If every thing is out in front, you both should be happy. Asked every thing you want to know. Good luck, this could be a new career for you.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a gret opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
    Also, you must see the sales slip !! This person saw your work, thinks it`s good, and I`m sure he wants to make something for selling them. He must have clients who can afford them. If every thing is out in front, you both should be happy. Asked every thing you want to know. Good luck, this could be a new career for you.
    Totally agree with this........ :thumbup:
    Christmas coming up,WOW you could make a bundle!!!!

What a wonderful compliment to your talent! Best of Luck if you choose to expand on this opportunity!

awesome compliment on your work. I hope it all works out for you.

Susan

This may be a great opportunity for you to earn some money while doing something you love to do.

Something I think you should think about is how much pressure it will put on you to make X amount of quilts in a certain period of time. Also increased use of your sewing machine may mean the need for repairs. Do you have a back up machine?

I recently finished a queen size quilt for a family member who paid for the pattern and fabrics. It cost me more than I expected as I needed a special ruler, I used more thread pieceing than I expected and also I had to buy special colored threads for the quilting, things I should have thought and added to the price she would pay for me to make the quilt. Since she was a close family member I was donating my time. Largest problem was the constant pressure I felt to sew perfectly, work faster and complete the quilt quickly. Vowed never to do a commission quilt again, it took all the fun out of quilting.

Write down a list of questions you have about this arrangement and have a good talk with the man. Tell him how long it takes to make a quilt, what size does he expect, what does he plan to sell them for and what do you get out of this project. Make one and see what he does with it and get everything in writing, his share your share and find out the going rate for quilts. And like Barbshobbies said, expect to see the sales slips. This will be a business proposition so look for the legal aspects too. You would be setting up a home based business.

Carol J.

I truly hope that this works out for you. But I wonder whether the man who was wow'ed (as we all were) by your quilt realizes that handmade quilts don't usually sell that well, at least not at prices that reflect the fabrics and labor involved in making them. You need to make sure that he does his homework and understands the market before going too far.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    I know he would have the contacts and be doing the selling, but isn't that money split a little lopsided? I would think after expenses, you should get more than 50% because you are the one creating ~ just my opinion... like the singing star who gives 15% to their manager, the singer is the talent.

I wish you luck with this new opportunity. Let us know what happens.

That you all for the useful information. I have not talked to him about it yet,just thinking about all the options, Like I said he would buy all the material and stuff. I would work at my own pace I would make them, he would help find a place to sell them. Keeping all the ideas coming making a list and praying about this too.

That quilt is so magnificient and creative...I am not the least surprised of the opportunity. Take it slow and be sure everything is upfront. Best wishes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dolores
    Like I said he would buy all the material and stuff.
    As in he actually does the shopping or he waxed poetic while talking & you do the shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Moedeenie
    What a wonderful compliment to your talent! Best of Luck if you choose to expand on this opportunity!
    I agree with Moedeenie - Also I would do it slowly at first, just to see how it will go. Making things for $$ is a lot different than doing it for a loves one. Best of luck with it!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast