Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you? >

Would you?

Would you?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
So, he's going to buy the fabric and you're going to do the work.
He's going to pay himself back for the fabric and then split the proceeds? Is he going to pay you for the work before splitting the proceeds?
Did he say 50/50? Or did he just say "split".

Get all the details in writing and make sure you understand how everything will be split. Good luck and congratulations.

sweetpeaches is absolutely right. he should repay himself for the $$$ expenses after showing you receipts, and you should be paid a decent hourly wage previously agreed on before a 50/50 division of money is made. keep track of your time. until you both get back what you each put in, there is no "profit" to share.
and do not sign a contract or commit yourself to a certain number of quilts. if you decide you want out you have to be able to do it.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by sandwich child
I'm with Julie R. Especially important is a legal contract spelling out every parameter you can think of - and have it approved by an attorney. The benefactor needs to be aware that a quilt is not something you make in an hour or a day; therefore, production is limited.
he also needs to know he can't take advantage of you. once he figures that out, don't be surprised if he vanishes, although i hope this works out well for you. i'm just cynical.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by sandwich child
I'm with Julie R. Especially important is a legal contract spelling out every parameter you can think of - and have it approved by an attorney. The benefactor needs to be aware that a quilt is not something you make in an hour or a day; therefore, production is limited.
he also needs to know he can't take advantage of you. once he figures that out, don't be surprised if he vanishes, although i hope this works out well for you. i'm just cynical.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 PM

Great opportunity but the advice already offered is good. It's sometimes hard to trust today. I hope it all works out for you. Sue
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 PM

What would you do if you wanted to work on quilt for someone you liked but had the material for the quilt he wants to sell?

My experience in other areas is: business deals and friendships/family do not meld. My niece bought a good running car from my hub and then wrecked the transmission and blamed the car. Bad feelings result. If he has connections to your family it could be bad if dispute arise.

I liked the previous idea given about make the quilt and let him sell it. Give him a commission for selling it. Pass the cost of fabric you bought on to the price of the quilt. After you sell a few, you will have fabric money and not need his money. You deserve more than 50% ?

I am wishing you luck when you decide what to do. What a nice dilemma.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by nancy59
The quilt is beautiful and I can see why he would offer this opportunity. Just protect yourself, is he aware of the time involved on your part?
Where did you see the quilt? I'd love to see it. It's so nice to be reading how concerned everyone is.. Like telling your sister or brother your dilemma and getting good advice. Warm fuzzy feeling I'm getting.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
You can sell your own quilts, so why do you need him?? You just have to advertise them. Also word of mouth is a good source to start by getting your friends to help. There is e-bay, newspapers, flyers and much more. Then think again, do you want to work full time making quilts that someone else is going to get half the money for. Just start out slow, building your stash, going from there. Don't think you can crank out quilts like on an assembly line, as the quality goes down. Good luck.
IdahoSandy
In my area there are flea markets where people bring hand made items to sell. I like to be my own boss.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Sounds like a great deal but I hope it doesn't turn a beloved hobby into a tiresome chore. Good luck and ENJOY!