Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wow, half yard cuts at 22 to 28 inches--isn't that amazing!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wow-half-yard-cuts-22-28-inches-isnt-amazing-t224834.html)

Raggiemom 07-01-2013 04:05 AM

Usually my Joanns' fabrics are a little short. I think it's because they use the groove to cut the fabric with scissors and it gets dipped down which shortens my piece. WOW, though on 22-28 inches for a half yard. Someone is very generous :)

judi wess 07-01-2013 04:23 AM

Maybe the generous cut were end of bolt cuts.

PolkaBabe 07-01-2013 05:40 AM

If you are referring to Hancock Fabrics, that had to come from the warehouse. Now if it came from a store & they sent it out then the cut would be pretty much precise. They have to cut actual cuts otherwise the inventory is off. The warehouse isn't that way, which isn't fair to the rest of the company.

mandyrose 07-01-2013 05:52 AM

your right Jan and they don't even do that anymore and I notice the selveges are getting wider I got fabric from joanns and notice it so I measured and was 3/4 in so that's an 1 1/2 off the width

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6151184)
I'd guess it depends on the clerk who is doing the cutting. Regularly I had to remind my former staff not to give away the shop by cutting like this. We allowed a "thumb's width" on both edges beyond the 18" or 36'. It's possible you won't get this much from Hancocks each time.

Jan in VA

mhollifiel 07-01-2013 06:11 AM

When I shopped with Mama, I remember that cuts were always made in this "baker's dozen" manner. When I studied "home ec" in high school and college, the true grain issue was taught and that accounted for this fudge factor in cutting. Today I rarely find much of a grain discrepancy but, in the distant past, I've run into some doozies. There may be some sellers/cutters who are still passing along the "little bit extra" without realizing the reason this used to be done with yardage sales is no longer a factor. And this might explain our little sense of entitlement to the extra!

Lori S 07-01-2013 06:19 AM

I have never been that fortunate in my orders from Hancocks's of Paducah.

mjhaess 07-01-2013 07:11 AM

Hancocks is having a big sale all month...I got a flyer in the mail Sat. They have batiks on sale...

RugosaB 07-01-2013 07:35 AM

I received some fabric, by mail, from them last week. There was a note with one of them that they just gave me, about 6 inches, because it was end of the bolt.
I did not measure the others, I just hold them with my arms and they seemed right.
I did not order any batiks

NanH 07-01-2013 08:11 AM

I am from Maine and know Mardens. Really quite a store if you hit it right. No longer there but curious, are you from the Sanford area? I was raised in Ogunquit.

MartiMorga 07-01-2013 08:30 AM

sounds like you were served by either a disgruntled employee or some one who was trying to do too many things at a time. Now do we call and let them know so we don't feel like we are stealing - of course they will tell you to keep it.