Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wow, learning to longarm has a tough tough tough learning curve (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wow-learning-longarm-has-tough-tough-tough-learning-curve-t189550.html)

cathyvv 04-06-2013 07:14 PM

Thread breaking - usually tension problem, sometimes a barb on the needle (even if it is a new one!), occasionally it is a bad batch of thread, and, as someone else said, some machines like some threads better than others.

Top Tension: I get mine adjusted by turning the tension knob to the lowest setting. Then I start sewing a few inches at a time, check the stitches front and back. If the back stitching is loose, I turn the tension knob a half turn, repeat the process. I do that until I have satisfactory tension on the top and bottom.

Bottom tension - there are you tube videos that will show you how to set the bottom tension. They are correct!

My sister had a problem on her small arm with thread breakage so she and I went through all the steps for setting tension, got it right, but the thread still broke. Then we checked the needle...sure enough, there was a barb. Next time, I'll start checking with the needle!

I use a pc-quilter with my HQ16, so can't offer any advice on free motion quilting.

soccertxi 04-08-2013 06:31 AM

There is a wonderful YouTube video by Jamie Wallen on machine tension. It will work for any machine. It really helped me tweek my machine and the confidence to try other threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

I agree with AndiR. Takes ALOT of time! I took to freemotion quickly, but I have taken numerous online classes to gain skills and confidence. One of my ahHA moments was the suggestion of a white board. I have dried up many dry erase markers. Last time I doodled bees for a week before I would attempt one on fabric. I even have a small board that is for kids learning their letters. Lined on one side, plain white on the other. I take it with me everywhere when I am trying to learn a new shape. Don't put your elbow down: you are teaching your arm and shoulder the movement. If you put your elbow down, you are teaching your wrist and hand. I could not do a pantograph to save my LIFE for about 6 months. I needed good control of the machine to follow someone else's line. Do what feels best to YOU 1st, and add to that when you are ready. I have heard that a glass of wine and some music helps too!

Northern Sue 10-03-2022 08:24 AM

Might be frustrating now, but really ... isn't it absolutely exciting? I have a HQ Moxie that I learn something new every project! Excellent suggestions in this thread to give you some guidance. I checked on my "cheat sheet" for any ideas that might help you, and this is what I have:
1. Upper tension - if its too tight, your thread will break
2. Is your quilt tension too tight? loosen by 1-2 clicks & see if that happens
3. Poor quality - fabric, batting or backing
4. Is your foot to high? (I'm not familiar with your machine)
5.Thread quality, needle quality
And the practice of doodling on paper first is important to develop the muscle memory. When practicing swirls, curls etc. try lowering your stitch length, look where you are going not where you are at. Try them at different sizes too.
Hope some of this helps! I'm no expert and I have to remember to heed my advice! :)

salsews 10-03-2022 09:34 AM

My Tin Lizzie loves Glide thread -- and so do I. I use it almost exclusively on my Janome Horizon, too. In regard to all the good advice you've gotten about the needle, be certain it's inserted properly. If it's in slightly to the side, your machine won't stitch properly. Classes were very helpful to me, and YouTube still is. You'll figure it out -- it just takes time, patience (not always easy) and practice.

mkc 10-03-2022 09:45 AM

FYI - this is a 9 year old topic that got bumped today.

OP hasn't been on the board in 6 months.

newbee3 10-04-2022 08:04 PM

when I got mine I did practice alot I did fmg on my sewing machine but with the longarm it is different. Remember if you are using a pantograph like I do most of the time you do not have to follow it exactly it is kinda roadmap you can wander off just like driving a car if you veer to far left you slowly get back. Remember have fun with it enjoy

newbee3 10-04-2022 08:05 PM

when I got mine I did practice alot I did fmg on my sewing machine but with the longarm it is different. Remember if you are using a pantograph like I do most of the time you do not have to follow it exactly it is kinda roadmap you can wander off just like driving a car if you veer to far left you slowly get back. Remember have fun with it enjoy also if you have tension problem Jamie Wallen has a great u tube video on taming tension.

loisf 10-06-2022 07:20 PM

This thread, although older, was just what I needed to read. I purchased a very slightly used Crown Jewel III on a Momentum frame several weeks ago. I purchased from a private party, so no lessons came with it. It also came with the QCT5 Pro quilting software. I'd never once quilted on a longarm. Talk about a steep curve - trying to learn the machine and software simultaneously. Lots of reading manuals and watching YouTube videos, sometimes yelling at the monitor. Yesterday, my friend who used to quilt my quilts years ago before I bought my Tiara sit-down machine came over. She showed me how to use the laser for pantographs and gave me so much encouragement. Now, after her visit and my reading this thread, I know I made a good decision to purchase the longarm. My first pantos are due to arrive any day, and then I'm going to try my first quilt. Thanks for all the wonderful tips.

Northern Sue 10-08-2022 08:33 AM

Its interesting that an "old board" got bumped up just when we needed to learn or be reminded of the intracies of this hobby of ours! Woohoo!

mkc 10-08-2022 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Northern Sue (Post 8570244)
Its interesting that an "old board" got bumped up

Those of us in "the forum business" call these "zombie threads" when they get bumped ;)