Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wow, learning to longarm has a tough tough tough learning curve (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wow-learning-longarm-has-tough-tough-tough-learning-curve-t189550.html)

quiltsfor 10-08-2022 12:46 PM

Even reading through the older threads, you can learn or find what you are looking for. I like to read through them. Just pulling them up will give a lot of insight to different issues and answers. Especially if it is about an older machine or product.

Northern Sue 10-09-2022 09:57 AM

I'm curious whether there is an issue with old threads being bumped into the current queue?

mkc 10-09-2022 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Sue (Post 8570414)
I'm curious whether there is an issue with old threads being bumped into the current queue?

With a very old thread, people start answering the questions asked in the first post. That original poster has long since had their questions answered and/or may no longer be on the board.

It's always best to start a new topic with your specific questions so you can get answers to your questions, rather than lots of responses to the first post of an old topic.

Many forums have warnings pop-up when you try to respond to an old topic if it's more than 6 months old. As an admin/moderator for several other forums (not quilting-related) it creates a lot of work to split out "bumps" of old topics into their own, new topic. We do it to keep the subject on track and the information current.

cashs_mom 10-09-2022 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Sue (Post 8570414)

They just want to see if you're paying attention ;)

Peckish 10-09-2022 03:12 PM

For the most part, I agree with MKC.

People posting new questions on old threads oftentimes get overlooked, because most readers don't realize the thread is old and respond only to the first question.

Sometimes the original thread can have helpful information, but I've seen a LOT of posts full of outdated info, old broken links to websites that no longer exist, etc.

peaceandjoy 10-10-2022 03:52 AM

The learning curve is just one reason I am more than happy to continue to quilt by check.

I've no time to make tops that will come out looking sloppy. Add that to the lack of room and unwillingness to pay over $10,000 for a long arm, and I will run up the road to my very talented quilter!

Rff1010 10-10-2022 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor (Post 8570284)
Even reading through the older threads, you can learn or find what you are looking for. I like to read through them. Just pulling them up will give a lot of insight to different issues and answers. Especially if it is about an older machine or product.

I just wish sometimes people*would* search the older threads. Alot of good info there and it would avoid the repeat questions - yes, you can use fleece as a backing.

Northern Sue 10-10-2022 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8570473)
They just want to see if you're paying attention ;)

lol Apparently I wasn't paying attention at all! :)

Northern Sue 10-10-2022 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mkc (Post 8570467)
With a very old thread, people start answering the questions asked in the first post. That original poster has long since had their questions answered and/or may no longer be on the board.

It's always best to start a new topic with your specific questions so you can get answers to your questions, rather than lots of responses to the first post of an old topic.

Many forums have warnings pop-up when you try to respond to an old topic if it's more than 6 months old. As an admin/moderator for several other forums (not quilting-related) it creates a lot of work to split out "bumps" of old topics into their own, new topic. We do it to keep the subject on track and the information current.

Thank you for responding to my query! Is this an issue that perhaps should have a Attention Post to all on the board? TBH I didn't pay any attention to the date of the original post. I was just hoping I had suggestions of value to offer.

WesternWilson 10-12-2022 07:13 AM

Learning to quilt nicely on your longarm will take just as much practice as it did to free motion on your domestic! It is a whole other skill set.

What really, really helped me was the wonderful series of instructional videos on YouTube by Michael Quilts. He does a great job of explaining how to approach the learning curve and build skills. Watching and following his methods was a breakthrough for me, and I loved his rulers as well:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDc...YIewEeUtu7J__A

To get straight lines, ruler quilting is your best friend!