Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yards of polo shirt fabric....what can I make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yards-polo-shirt-fabric-what-can-i-make-t298082.html)

teacherbailey 07-06-2018 11:51 AM

Yards of polo shirt fabric....what can I make?

I am an Olympics nut and live in Atlanta. Right after our Games in ‘96, I ran across pique knit fabric used for the Polo shirts. 3-4 different color ways that designated your job.....volunteer, medical, etc. I bought several yards of each. Thought it was lost forever somehow but found it!!! Any ideas what to do with it? It’s high quality cotton, a little stretchy but not too much. I’m not a garment maker and all I can think of is to cut it in big squares for a quilt..... but I know there are better ideas out there!!!! Help???? Thank you!!!

bearisgray 07-06-2018 01:15 PM

If it's what I think it is - wash it and use it for backings.

Just lay it flat on the table and treat it like a regular cotton while layering it.]

IrishNY 07-06-2018 03:40 PM

You could treat it like a t-shirt quilt by stabilizing it and incorporating it into a quilt top. Perhaps a quilt that commemorates the ATL Olympics.

MaryMo 07-06-2018 03:49 PM

First thing I thought of was t-shirt quilt . . . . and I think backings would be super also. Kids usually like a soft backing and this fabric should wear well. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

NJ Quilter 07-06-2018 03:53 PM

sent you a PM.

Tartan 07-06-2018 05:17 PM

I am intrigued by the long cases you sew ( divisions along it) that you can put regular pillows in for floor futons. Your fabric would work well for those.

teacherbailey 07-07-2018 05:46 PM

Tartan—-great idea! I’ve wanted to make one of those but it didn’t occur to me to use this fabric!!!!

elnan 07-07-2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey (Post 8089134)
I am an Olympics nut and live in Atlanta. Right after our Games in ‘96, I ran across pique knit fabric used for the Polo shirts. 3-4 different color ways that designated your job.....volunteer, medical, etc. I bought several yards of each. Thought it was lost forever somehow but found it!!! Any ideas what to do with it? It’s high quality cotton, a little stretchy but not too much. I’m not a garment maker and all I can think of is to cut it in big squares for a quilt..... but I know there are better ideas out there!!!! Help???? Thank you!!!

Tartan has a wondereful idea for it. Several years back, knit sheets were popular. There are directions out there for making fitted sheets. I think a knit cover sheet would be very comfortable. You have a wonderful dilemma on your hands.

teacherbailey 07-08-2018 04:25 PM

Elnan, what a great idea! The design is big so I didn’t want to cut it much. This is perfect!!!! Thank you! So I’ll make a futon-type bed from king sized pillows (I’m too big to use regular pillows) and a sheet to match. Then maybe a whole-cloth quilt if I have enough left! I knew I’d get answers on this Board!!!!! 🤗🤗🤗

Jingle 07-08-2018 06:01 PM

Sounds like Elan ahd the perfect answer for you.