Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Yards of polo shirt fabric....what can I make?

Yards of polo shirt fabric....what can I make?

I am an Olympics nut and live in Atlanta. Right after our Games in Ď96, I ran across pique knit fabric used for the Polo shirts. 3-4 different color ways that designated your job.....volunteer, medical, etc. I bought several yards of each. Thought it was lost forever somehow but found it!!! Any ideas what to do with it? Itís high quality cotton, a little stretchy but not too much. Iím not a garment maker and all I can think of is to cut it in big squares for a quilt..... but I know there are better ideas out there!!!! Help???? Thank you!!!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Power Poster
    If it's what I think it is - wash it and use it for backings.

Just lay it flat on the table and treat it like a regular cotton while layering it.]

You could treat it like a t-shirt quilt by stabilizing it and incorporating it into a quilt top. Perhaps a quilt that commemorates the ATL Olympics.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

First thing I thought of was t-shirt quilt . . . . and I think backings would be super also. Kids usually like a soft backing and this fabric should wear well. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

sent you a PM.

Power Poster
    I am intrigued by the long cases you sew ( divisions along it) that you can put regular pillows in for floor futons. Your fabric would work well for those.

Tartanó-great idea! Iíve wanted to make one of those but it didnít occur to me to use this fabric!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey View Post
    I am an Olympics nut and live in Atlanta. Right after our Games in ‘96, I ran across pique knit fabric used for the Polo shirts. 3-4 different color ways that designated your job.....volunteer, medical, etc. I bought several yards of each. Thought it was lost forever somehow but found it!!! Any ideas what to do with it? It’s high quality cotton, a little stretchy but not too much. I’m not a garment maker and all I can think of is to cut it in big squares for a quilt..... but I know there are better ideas out there!!!! Help???? Thank you!!!
    Tartan has a wondereful idea for it. Several years back, knit sheets were popular. There are directions out there for making fitted sheets. I think a knit cover sheet would be very comfortable. You have a wonderful dilemma on your hands.

Elnan, what a great idea! The design is big so I didnít want to cut it much. This is perfect!!!! Thank you! So Iíll make a futon-type bed from king sized pillows (Iím too big to use regular pillows) and a sheet to match. Then maybe a whole-cloth quilt if I have enough left! I knew Iíd get answers on this Board!!!!! 🤗🤗🤗

Sounds like Elan ahd the perfect answer for you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.