Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yes-i-have-retirement-plan-my-plan-quilt-t288844.html)

Stitch124 06-09-2017 09:32 AM

Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!!

I plan to retire next March.

I've been buying fabric in anticipation of not having the funds available when I retire, so now there's a cabinet of crammed full of fabric nicely packaged into bundles with the pattern attached to the fabric.

Day one I plan to start my 'retirement quilt'. I want to make quilts for fun and sell the ones I don't want to keep.

I'm only 64 and healthy as a horse and so anxious to begin my retirement I can just taste it!

My biggest fear is that there won't be enough time in retirement to make all of these kits I've collected!!! All I want to do is travel to different shops and buy more fabric!!!!

Who's with me!?

Watson 06-09-2017 09:48 AM

I'm with you, but I've got 5 years yet!

My goal between now and then is to buy and figure out how to use a long arm.

Watson

Stitch124 06-09-2017 09:51 AM

I went on Craigslist and found a nice Grace Queen 2 frame. I bought a Bailey's Pro 15 so I have a LA set up for about $2500. Everything is manual, just have to take a break every hour so my feet and back don't give out.
Practicing LA free motion quilting is fun and frustrating because I want everything to look perfect....but I guess I need to give up that goal!

cashs_mom 06-09-2017 09:52 AM

I'm not sure when I will really be retired. I'll be 65 in Oct, but we run our own business and with my husband 6 years younger and planning to work until he's 70, I'll still be working at least part time. I'm hoping that I can work 3 days a week instead of 5 now. I actually think that would be good. I'm a little apprehensive about retiring completely and not being out there. My retired neighbors aren't really a good example for me. lol

cjsews 06-09-2017 09:56 AM

I have the same plans for January 2019. The countdown has started. 19 months to go. Yay us !

loisf 06-09-2017 10:01 AM

I worked full time until I was 70, spending 42 years with the same company. I love being retired. Quilting is one of my favorite pastimes. I seem to be busier than ever. I thought I might miss working, but I don't - not even a little. All I miss are my coworkers, but I have lunch with them every couple of months. Enjoy yourself!

popover 06-09-2017 10:36 AM

I've been retired for 5 years and I still haven't quite caught up. There's always another.....

lots2do 06-09-2017 10:43 AM

That's great! I've been retired for two years this month. The first year was an adjustment but this past year was just great.

KSellers 06-09-2017 11:35 AM

Stitch124 -- I only have one suggestion...Quit buying fabric now and start to set aside the money you would spend so that you have it when you retire. I bought a lot of fabric when I 1st started quilting, and as I have progressed I have wanted to try new things. You will find the fabric you have bought might not be what you want when you finally retire. But I would be aggressive about saving that money only for quilting. I know from experience that when you see something on sale or cute it's hard to pass it by, but you could be a lot happier in the long run. I hope you have a great time in retirement.

suern3 06-09-2017 01:57 PM

I took early retirement about 10 years ago and then I took a quilting class! I find so many ideas for quilts and great fabrics that I really love and I do sometimes think I can't possibly live long enough to make them all! But I will do my best. Obviously, I didn't buy fabric ahead of time because I didn't have any idea I would need it. I'm glad I didn't though because my tastes change plus styles change and who knows who I might need to make a quilt for. Anyway, I like the idea of having a special fabric savings account for future use so that you can get the latest trends. I know you will enjoy your retirement. And as my DH and I often say, we are so busy now, we don't know how we had time to work!