Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-going-stores-tonight-tomorrow-sales-t206655.html)

Yarn or Fabric 11-22-2012 04:25 AM

Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales?

I've already scoped out what I want to get from Hancock's tomorrow morning... my first priority is a new wheelie case for my new sewing machine. The case I have is too big for it and I don't like how my machine flops about in it so I want to get a new, better fitting case... and I might want to get some black on black fabrics, maybe some white on whites if I'm able to get them... and maybe a few notions. I'm not sure what else is on my list... maybe a king sized batting?... Joann's didn't have the wheelie case I was looking for so this year, it's Hancock's for me :D

What quilty things are you guys going to wait in line for and/or arrive later and see if it's still available?

Bneighbor 11-22-2012 04:36 AM

I have shopped at Joanne 2 times on black Friday. I avoid all shopping until Monday or so, and then it is my day-to-day normal stuff (milk, bread, quick sewing stuff). I hate this time of year, so to me, this is a nuisance.
I just do not understand the hype...for what? To fight crowds to save maybe a few cents? To me, not worth it.
Please, move Christmas back to Christmas.

Jackie Spencer 11-22-2012 04:53 AM

Happy Thanksgiving!!! I'll be going to Kohl's but not until afternoon tomorrow, maybe to Joann's to get a new Merry Christmas wreath for my front door.

Pam B 11-22-2012 05:01 AM

My daughters and I will go out at mid-day on Friday to have lunch and laugh at the crazy people who seem to think that they have to buy the stores out on Black Friday. As early as Tues evening, they were reporting on the news about people lining up at Best Buy for the Friday opening. I like to shop as much as the next person but I don't buy into this madness. But...my best friend does it and I know she has fun! When I shop, I shop with cash and and I buy what I want. I don't buy anything just because it has a discounted price.

As far as quilty shopping goes....the LQS I love to go to is closed on Friday. I will shop there on Sat. for nothing in particular.

joyce888 11-22-2012 05:04 AM

I was going to go to Joann's but just had to shell out over $900 in repairs on my SUV in two days. Brakes and tuneup Tuesday; then yesterday was going to follow my DH to the auto shop to get his truck serviced and mine wouldn't start. I could tell it wasnt getting gas, so had to call my DH to come back home and see what he could do. Sure enough it was the fuel pump but thank goodness they told us how to get it run enough to get it back to the shop and they were able to put a new pump on yesterday.

deedum 11-22-2012 05:09 AM

Not heading out to any of the mega stores at all. I might stop by and drop a little at a near by small business fabric shop & resale shop. I have no issues supporting small businesses. This shopping holiday thing has got too far away from the real meaning and I am not participating in it all in this madness. My HO.

Daylesewblessed 11-22-2012 05:17 AM

Our chapter of Project Linus had its community work day last Saturday. I brought in over 50 single layer fleece blankets hemmed on 2 sides with fringe cut on the other 2 sides, ready for tying by the guests who came in. Helping and watching the children participate made it worth it.

My fleece supply is down to nearly nothing, so I will be at Joann's at 6:00 tomorrow for the $2.99/yard fleece (plus 25% discount) whether I like it or not. Since I prep about 15 blankets per month for a work session that I do at assisted living, I have to get that fleece for the best price possible.

My feet will be hurting, and I will need a nap later in the day, but it is worth it to me!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dayle

May in Jersey 11-22-2012 05:39 AM

I don't do Black Friday Shopping, even the supermarket. Don't need anything that badly and am too old to fight crowds and stand on a line for a long time to check out. One of my DGDs did it with some friends a few years ago and she got the TV she wanted at a great price but it was a young person's adventure something she hasn't done again.

sandy l 11-22-2012 05:39 AM

No Black Friday for me. I'm not ready to join the circus, even if some of the stores in our area are opening on Thanksgiving day:thumbdown:

pattypurple 11-22-2012 05:40 AM

I looked at the ads and didn't see anything that I would fight the crowds for. It helps that all our Christmas presents will be delivered today (we won't be seeing family at Christmas). Last year I went to the Joann's near my Mom!s and got my wheeled case. I had scoped out the store and knew right where they were. Was in and out in about 5 minutes. That was enough madness for me.