Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You gotta try this one! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-gotta-try-one-t157779.html)

Wall Warmer 10-03-2011 02:48 PM

I attended a 4-day quilt retreat last week and came home with a lot of ideas and tips but the best one is making your own thimble. I dislike thimbles a lot but have to try to get used to them. Never have and it has been 65 years.

You can make your own thimble by using animal wrap. The kind they wrap animal legs. You can get it at a farm store for about $2.50. It is about 3" wide. You cut in about an inch from the edge and make it 3 1/2" long. Then cut off the next a half inch and fold it 3 times. Then put that piece over the end of your finger and wrap the 3" piece around it, pulling it gently so it stays in place.

Now, you are ready to sew. Wonderful. The end of the needle does not go through your finger!! When I need to leave the sewing, I put my thimble inside the wrap so it won't shrink. When I need it again I remove the thimble and stick my finger in the wrap. OR you can just make another one if you want too.

Hopefully, some of you will enjoy this.

Nan
Wall Warmer

Murphy 10-03-2011 02:55 PM

Thank you for sharing this very useful information. Welcome to the board from Iowa.

suzee 10-03-2011 02:55 PM

What a great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Glassquilt 10-03-2011 02:56 PM

Will you post a picture?

AlwaysQuilting 10-03-2011 03:10 PM

Would like a photo.
I got confused when you wrote: ---"When I need to leave the sewing, I put my thimble inside the wrap so it won't shrink. When I need it again I remove the thimble and stick my finger in the wrap."

I thought the wrap took the place of a thimble?

quiltmouse 10-03-2011 03:12 PM

It does. When she removes the animal wrap, she puts a metal thimble in the wrap, so wrap does not shrink.

Quiltbeagle 10-03-2011 03:23 PM

I'm very tired tonight and can't seem to figure out your directions without a visual. Do you unroll a single thickness and then cut it 3 1/2 inches long or do you cut down into ALL the layers an inch from the edge and use the entire wrap (except the one inch) for one thimble? If I can figure it out I'll pick up a wrap at the feed store and give it a try.

np3 10-03-2011 03:47 PM

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us.

marknfran 10-03-2011 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wall Warmer
I attended a 4-day quilt retreat last week and came home with a lot of ideas and tips but the best one is making your own thimble. I dislike thimbles a lot but have to try to get used to them. Never have and it has been 65 years.

You can make your own thimble by using animal wrap. The kind they wrap animal legs. You can get it at a farm store for about $2.50. It is about 3" wide. You cut in about an inch from the edge and make it 3 1/2" long. Then cut off the next a half inch and fold it 3 times. Then put that piece over the end of your finger and wrap the 3" piece around it, pulling it gently so it stays in place.

Now, you are ready to sew. Wonderful. The end of the needle does not go through your finger!! When I need to leave the sewing, I put my thimble inside the wrap so it won't shrink. When I need it again I remove the thimble and stick my finger in the wrap. OR you can just make another one if you want too.

Hopefully, some of you will enjoy this.

Nan
Wall Warmer

That is super!!!!! I have some on hand because the doctor had me change the wrap for my foot quite often. Big R here has it in many colors!!!

puddingtain 10-03-2011 04:23 PM

animal wrap must be different then human wrap ....thank you for sharing this tip...welcome from New Hampshire