Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: You gotta try this one!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Liberty MIlls IN
    Posts
    59
    I attended a 4-day quilt retreat last week and came home with a lot of ideas and tips but the best one is making your own thimble. I dislike thimbles a lot but have to try to get used to them. Never have and it has been 65 years.

    You can make your own thimble by using animal wrap. The kind they wrap animal legs. You can get it at a farm store for about $2.50. It is about 3" wide. You cut in about an inch from the edge and make it 3 1/2" long. Then cut off the next a half inch and fold it 3 times. Then put that piece over the end of your finger and wrap the 3" piece around it, pulling it gently so it stays in place.

    Now, you are ready to sew. Wonderful. The end of the needle does not go through your finger!! When I need to leave the sewing, I put my thimble inside the wrap so it won't shrink. When I need it again I remove the thimble and stick my finger in the wrap. OR you can just make another one if you want too.

    Hopefully, some of you will enjoy this.

    Nan
    Wall Warmer

  2. #2
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,902
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thank you for sharing this very useful information. Welcome to the board from Iowa.

  3. #3
    Senior Member suzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    595
    What a great tip! Thanks for sharing!

  4. #4
    Super Member Glassquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northeast IL
    Posts
    2,064
    Blog Entries
    1
    Will you post a picture?

  5. #5
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Would like a photo.
    I got confused when you wrote: ---"When I need to leave the sewing, I put my thimble inside the wrap so it won't shrink. When I need it again I remove the thimble and stick my finger in the wrap."

    I thought the wrap took the place of a thimble?

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pratt Kansas
    Posts
    1,205
    Blog Entries
    3
    It does. When she removes the animal wrap, she puts a metal thimble in the wrap, so wrap does not shrink.

  7. #7
    Super Member Quiltbeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,197
    I'm very tired tonight and can't seem to figure out your directions without a visual. Do you unroll a single thickness and then cut it 3 1/2 inches long or do you cut down into ALL the layers an inch from the edge and use the entire wrap (except the one inch) for one thimble? If I can figure it out I'll pick up a wrap at the feed store and give it a try.

  8. #8
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us.

  9. #9
    Senior Member marknfran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Warmer
    I attended a 4-day quilt retreat last week and came home with a lot of ideas and tips but the best one is making your own thimble. I dislike thimbles a lot but have to try to get used to them. Never have and it has been 65 years.

    You can make your own thimble by using animal wrap. The kind they wrap animal legs. You can get it at a farm store for about $2.50. It is about 3" wide. You cut in about an inch from the edge and make it 3 1/2" long. Then cut off the next a half inch and fold it 3 times. Then put that piece over the end of your finger and wrap the 3" piece around it, pulling it gently so it stays in place.

    Now, you are ready to sew. Wonderful. The end of the needle does not go through your finger!! When I need to leave the sewing, I put my thimble inside the wrap so it won't shrink. When I need it again I remove the thimble and stick my finger in the wrap. OR you can just make another one if you want too.

    Hopefully, some of you will enjoy this.

    Nan
    Wall Warmer
    That is super!!!!! I have some on hand because the doctor had me change the wrap for my foot quite often. Big R here has it in many colors!!!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Croydon N.H.
    Posts
    132
    animal wrap must be different then human wrap ....thank you for sharing this tip...welcome from New Hampshire

  11. #11
    Senior Member marknfran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by puddingtain
    animal wrap must be different then human wrap ....thank you for sharing this tip...welcome from New Hampshire
    The one day I went back to the doctor to have my foot checked, he had to remove the "pink" wrap I had bought at Big R (they use it for animals). I asked him if it was okay to use this kind of wrap instead of buying the more expensive brown wrap at the pharmacies.
    He told me it made no difference.

  12. #12
    Super Member kathdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    Posts
    2,499
    Blog Entries
    2
    I collect thimbles, but can't for the life of me use one. I have found using unmedicated corn pads on my finger works great when I do hand stitching, twilling or embroidering of any kind. Sounds weird, but it works. You can purchase the pads or one big pad that you can cut. Reasonably priced and works great.

  13. #13
    Super Member rushdoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    1,033
    VetWrap is like duct tape and zip ties...it fixes everything! Thanks for sharing!

  14. #14
    Senior Member CarrieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    818
    What a great tip! Thanks!!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    you can use ANY medical wrap tape....works great!

  16. #16
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    Gotta try this one! Thanks.

  17. #17
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,480
    Thanks for sharing

  18. #18
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    Thanks for sharing. Gotta try it. I hate thimbles!

  19. #19
    Super Member kiffie2413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,811
    Blog Entries
    1
    All great suggestions!!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    168
    Great idea!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.