Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You know it's bad..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-know-its-bad-t146667.html)

MaryAnnMc 08-22-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by RenaB
I only purchase fabric for up to 3 projects I have in mind. I have 3 storage bins (1) for each project and when I get a coupon, I decide ahead of time which project I am going to buy for. This way, when everything is purchased, hopefully, I am done with my current project and can start that one which frees up the bin to start purchasing for another project. In addition, I start a "supply sheet" for each project and take a little 1 x 1 square and glue it to the sheet. This way, when I go to the store, I take that sheet with me so I can match it up. :)

Now this idea I like! I've bought for several projects, but they aren't organized as well as yours. Now if only I felt confident enough to actually start one of them! ;)

mjsylvstr 08-22-2011 04:15 AM

Been there.. done that !!!!!!!!!

BuzzinBumble 08-22-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by RenaB
I only purchase fabric for up to 3 projects I have in mind. I have 3 storage bins (1) for each project and when I get a coupon, I decide ahead of time which project I am going to buy for. This way, when everything is purchased, hopefully, I am done with my current project and can start that one which frees up the bin to start purchasing for another project. In addition, I start a "supply sheet" for each project and take a little 1 x 1 square and glue it to the sheet. This way, when I go to the store, I take that sheet with me so I can match it up. :)

The only duplicates I have in my stash were intentional, because the fabric was so versatile / beautiful/ fit more than 1 project etc.
RenaB - I need to adopt my own version of your system! i have too many projects planned out and purchased for and it is difficult to keep it all straight. Your 3 bin system is very smart. What do you do though when you come across a new fabric you just love and want to make into a quilt? Do you have to finish one of your bin projects first?

sblancarte 08-22-2011 04:52 AM

Last year I went through ALL of my fabric and found duplicates in more than one color. Everything is organized by theme/ color now. I do the same thing though about buying fabric for a project--I put the pattern in one of those scrapbooking clear boxes and I put the fabric in there as I purchase it. It helps to organize when I am working on a project also. My problem is I'm always getting excited about new projects when I still have all of those others waiting to be done.

Mariposa 08-22-2011 04:56 AM

Guilty here too! :)

Deborah12687 08-22-2011 05:10 AM

I don't have a problem of buying double fabrics but I am very good at shorting yardage and not having enough.

Steady Stiching 08-22-2011 05:38 AM

Been there and done that.....more than once....a mental-pause moment : )

redmadder 08-22-2011 05:39 AM

Oh yes, do it often. I use it all sooner or later.

Homemother 08-22-2011 06:10 AM

LOL!!! I did this a couple of times. I received fabric in the mail and after looking at it and touching it, I say, "Don't I have this already?" Lo and behold, yes! At least I'm consistent with my taste!

Dianne1 08-22-2011 06:24 AM

Well, at least yiou know that you have the same taste in fabric. I have done that often.