Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you making any gifts this year? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-making-any-gifts-year-t319293.html)

Jingle 10-07-2022 06:52 AM

No gifts to make. Everyone I know have quilts already. Most don't use them.

Gemm 10-07-2022 07:43 AM

I don't have any gifts planned, but SuzSLO's comment reminded me of some gift bags I made out of orphan blocks and leftover HSTs/QSTs a couple of years ago. It's a nice way to use up odds and ends and have a smaller project to work on as well. :-) Might start a collecting space for those bits and pieces to see if I can get something out of them!

quiltsfor 10-08-2022 12:33 PM

We quit exchanging holiday gifts several years ago, throughout the family. The family is so spread out through different states that no one knows who has what anymore. We just do cards and phone calls. I do make quilts that I gift, but not for holidays or birthdays. Just make and give as they get finished.

Makes it a lot easier for the kids/grand-kids so no one feels obligated to come up with a gift that would or would not be used. Not to mention the expense of purchasing and mailing. Makes it nicer all around for everyone.

cashs_mom 10-08-2022 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8570066)

Isn't that the truth? I made my husband a really nice quilt out of the Old Guys Rule fabric with cars (he's a car guy). It's probably been used twice or three times in the last 2 years. Oh, well, I tried.

osewme 10-08-2022 12:50 PM

The only thing I have planned is a rope bowl for a dear friend. I found a good site where this lady shows how to make large rope storage baskets with handles that I would like to try. She used the raw, uncovered clothes line rope & only covered the rope in a few places to add a splash of color. Now, I said I plan to do this but not sure it will get done. Everyone knows how that goes!

RedGarnet222 10-08-2022 01:16 PM

I just have one quilt top that needs finishing for my niece. It really isn't a christmas gift. That is when she might get it though. I have been playing around with fall toppers and runners. I am working on a topsy turvy scarecrows one now. All done but the quilting and binding.
I have a few ideas for three little girls I might sew dolls for them. There is one that is an old time asleep/awake doll with a bassinet. I found the vintage pattern on ebay last week.
One other quilt I have all the fabric and embroidered blocks for is one for myself. A fifties type woman during the holidays. I am still working out the pattern in my head.

MaryKa 10-08-2022 04:17 PM

Well, I'm not giving anything to grown-up people but I am working on my grand-kiddo's (almost) quilts. I have the Cop quilt, the Rag doll for two girls and a quilt for myself that I can use as a shawl type cover when I get cold during the day which is not very often.
If I do anything else it will be for birthdays ratherr than Christmas. I had my sister that died on Christmas Day a few years back and I'm alone now so it just is not the same. Neither of us had children so there is no family either. My best 2 friends are also gone.

FoggyButFocused 10-08-2022 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8570066)

GASP! I am on my second round. The quilts I gifted many years ago are now worn and need replacing. I just finished a quilt for my niece. The first quilt I made was many years ago and a little juvenile for her now. When I gift a quilt, I try to make it clear that it is to be loved and used. I make quilts for people, not beds.

Your quilts are probably much nicer than the ones I make and they probably want to save them. Mine are strictly utilitarian.

audsgirl 10-08-2022 08:13 PM

I am trying to make a quilt for our bed, but I want to take some time to make some Bendy Bags and Sweet Pea Pods (Lazy Girl Designs) for my daughter, son, and daughter-in-law as stocking stuffers. I also make ornaments for all my kids (even my late daughter). For the last 10 years or so they have been wool felt designs. I'd better get started on them soon.

Leslie

craftymatt2 10-08-2022 08:44 PM

I am making large hot pads, bowl cozies (grandkids love these), zippered bags, (my 10yr old granddaughter loves these) and I have knitted dishcloths and dishmats for some. I have done some ornaments but not many.