Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which to you prefer? the 'flat look' or the 'crinkly look'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-prefer-flat-look-crinkly-look-t203547.html)

Daylesewblessed 10-18-2012 07:36 AM

I prefer the flat look. Crinkly looks good in old quilts where the wear on the fabric and the quilt as a whole make the whole piece look consistent. I do like to see some dimension in all quilts, but overly crinkled does not appeal to me.

Dayle

linhawk 10-18-2012 07:45 AM

I'm with quiltingNan. I prewash everything except my W&N batting. Then I know it won't bleed and it is preshrunk. Love the look.

Scissor Queen 10-18-2012 07:54 AM

For me it depends entirely on the design of the top. I mostly don't do old fashioned designs so I prefer a flatter look. I don't pre-wash fabrics though so for those quilts that I want flatter I use Quilter's Dream poly batting.

So how do antique quilts get that crinkly look??? The fabrics were all pre-washed since they were either scraps from making clothing or the good parts left from worn clothing and quilts were very rarely washed.

jj1150 10-18-2012 07:59 AM

Well, I've only done two rag quilts, and they gave the crinkly look, which I really like ;)

jody

slicksister 10-18-2012 08:04 AM

Crinkly of course! I don't like wall hangings and table runners eventually get washed so crinkly all the way!!!!

bearisgray 10-18-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5594679)
For me it depends entirely on the design of the top. I mostly don't do old fashioned designs so I prefer a flatter look. I don't pre-wash fabrics though so for those quilts that I want flatter I use Quilter's Dream poly batting.

So how do antique quilts get that crinkly look??? The fabrics were all pre-washed since they were either scraps from making clothing or the good parts left from worn clothing and quilts were very rarely washed.

I've also wondered why some think that the crinkly/puckered look "equals" 'antique quilts'

Buckeye Rose 10-18-2012 08:41 AM

I think each quilt has a "look" that suits it best. I think a traditional patterned quilt looks best with a crinkled look, and most of the new styles, like a bargello, look best with a smoother finish. That is why is I use a batting to match the look I want....poly does not shrink, therefore works best for the smooth look....or a 80/20 blend for the crinkled look. JMHO

Deborahlees 10-18-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 (Post 5594463)
Bear i always love your questionsso I am chiming in first. The answer is.....'it depends'...If its a wall hanging or table topper I like the flat look. If its for quilts, I like the crinkly look - I think it gives the quilts more dimension and also that kind of antiquey look. Of course I am way too lazy to prewash and iron my fabrics so maybe thats why!!!

I agree, depends on what it is....
On that note, I ALWAYS wash my finished quilts before giving away (never wash my wall hangings or table runners) because I want to make sure all the seams are good, that the quilting doesn't have any loose threads that I didn't see, and I want the recipient to see what it is going to look like after THEY wash it.....I remember the first time my DDIL washed one of my quilts and she called me in tears saying it wrinkled !!!

Lori S 10-18-2012 08:49 AM

It depends.. table runners and wall hangings .. no doubt flat. Vintage looking quilts... crinkle! Modern style... FLAT. I do find that for the best "crinkle" preshrink fabrics but not batting.

LadyElisabeth 10-18-2012 08:51 AM

Almost everything I make now is flat. My granddaughter wants a really fluffy quilt but I will help her make it herself.