Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which to you prefer? the 'flat look' or the 'crinkly look'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-prefer-flat-look-crinkly-look-t203547.html)

Helen S 10-18-2012 09:23 AM

I guess this all boils down to type of batting also, and whether or not you pre-wash your batting? Given the cost of it, I'm afraid to try it! lol

I prefer the flat look because, first of all, as you stated, it shows that everything has been pre-washed and the recipient will have no worries about future laundering. I think "flat" is a cleaner look. BUT...I like the crinkled look for certain items, especially if I want them to look "aged"! lol

One of my GD's has requested a quilt in, as she puts it, "old time" fabrics (in shades of pink and hot pink)! She actually gave me a blouse she's no longer wearing to show me what she wants, and it's a very tiny calico print! lol So, I won't worry about pre-washing batting on this one as I'll want it to crinkle. I'd NEVER have guessed that she would want a good old fashioned looking quilt!

She's a very popular young lady, cheerleader, loves makeup, hair, fingernails, etc, and is not yet 15, but will have completed her graduation requirements by the end of this school year!!! Yeah, proud grandma moment. lol

Lucio 10-18-2012 09:30 AM

I definately prefer the flat look for all the children's quilts I make.

nygal 10-18-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 (Post 5594463)
Bear i always love your questionsso I am chiming in first. The answer is.....'it depends'...If its a wall hanging or table topper I like the flat look. If its for quilts, I like the crinkly look - I think it gives the quilts more dimension and also that kind of antiquey look!!

I agree 100 percent with you.

EasyPeezy 10-18-2012 10:14 AM

I guess I have one foot on each side of the fence. I like the flat look for wall-hangings and
table runners but a little crinkly doesn't bother me either. I like crinkly for most quilts I make. Probably the flat look for modern quilts.

I can relate when it comes to size. I just finished a quilt for our bed. Don't know
if I measured wrong or what but after washing it came out quite a bit short.
Oops. Lesson learned: measure twice and allow a few inches for shrinkage.
I guess I'll just have to make another one. :D

misskira 10-18-2012 10:16 AM

I love crinkled... Looks more comfy to me and we use our quilts here. Crinkly means people aren't afraid to touch them.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-18-2012 10:42 AM

Hmmm...both here also...although...I wash just about all of the quilts I make at some point, even table toppers and wallhangings. I think if it's really intricately quilted or pieced I might prefer to keep it flat just so that the details of the quilt can be better enjoyed...but I'll be honest...most of what I make is intended for use so it eventually ends up crinkly! ;)

MadQuilter 10-18-2012 01:08 PM

I love them crinkled. Not sure why - I just do.

batikmystique 10-18-2012 03:09 PM

For home decor items, I prefer flat and for quilts usually crinkly. I did make a biscuit lap quilt and chose the puffy look over the flat look...turned out great. However, if a quilt I'm making has a more elegant pattern, then I opt for flat over crinkly.

mountain-moma 10-18-2012 03:17 PM

I like Flat also

Mariposa 10-18-2012 03:20 PM

I like both.....just depends on the project. I do pre-wash my fabrics, and usually use warm & natural.