Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-short-arm-quilter-if-so-lets-talk-t196187.html)

juropat 07-31-2012 03:37 PM

I have Handiquilter frame with using my machine that I use for long time n currently trying to sell as my dh upgrade me to long arm last Christmas.

rj.neihart 08-01-2012 03:34 AM

I also have a Hand quilter frame, and sometimes use my sewing machine for tops only. I tried the quilting with my sewing machine but it just didn't feel the same. I have made only one quilt on the machine, quilted - I'm back to making tops on sewing machine and quilting by hand. It takes longer to quilt by hand, but it gives me the "awww" feeling when I've completed another one. Here it is the first of August, and I've completed 3 quilts by hand quilting. Working on #4 atm, pushing for at least #5 before Christmas.

sewtruterry 08-01-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5405052)
I have a Baby Lock Jane on a frame and it is mostly just sitting there taking up too much room.
The space to quilt on is so small that even a lap quilt is too big.
My table is an Imperial with very large rods that take up way to much room on my 9 inch throat.
The strait stitch machine has a complicated threading and a under the machine bobbin so have to move the machine to the far end of the table to change the bobbin and to rethread.
I do have a stitch regulator which costs $500 but it is wonderful.
Tried to do pantos but needle kept getting caught on edge of quilt since you cannot see the edge from behind the machine.
From the front of the machine quilting is much better but need to do free motion or marking a quilt pattern.

Before starting your next panto bring the machine down to the edge of the quilt and place a paper dot or piece of blue painters tape on the area of the panto where you need to begin and end. I think by doing that you will begin to love doing pantos again like I do.

Homespun 08-01-2012 05:35 AM

I have a Viking Mega Quilter and a Grace frame. I really like mine. The throat space is about 9 inches. i
That limits the amount of space you have to work with and I tend to just do swirls and loops but it works for me. I make quilts for people to use!

harpyquilter 08-01-2012 06:51 AM

Hi everyone, I have a Pfaff Hobby GrandQuilter and an older Inspira frame. Getting into the "zone" involves a treacherous trek through every mistake imaginable before I finally reach that sacred portal into the "zone"! My problem is that I have a bad back, and by the time I get there, back pain keeps me from fully concentrating on the actual quilting. If I stop for a period to rest, I have to make the journey all over again! Question: Does anyone know of a frame that is more "back friendly"--standing or sitting? When I try to sit while quilting a section, my knees hit the lower rails.

sandybeach 08-01-2012 07:29 AM

harpyquilter,
I purchased a "drafting" chair that I use in front of my short arm. It has a metal ring about half way between the seat and the floor for your feet. The seat is level with my backside if I am standing next to it. So I kind of step up to sit down. That way, my knees are above the lower rails. And because I put some floating wood floor strips over my carpet, I can slide the chair with one foot. I never start quilting on the same day as I load the quilt. My back just won't take it either. Hope this helps.

katei 08-01-2012 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by brendaln (Post 5408154)
I recently bought a Mega Quilter (Husqvarna) and a Gracie frame off of Craigs I have the frame set up in the spare bedroom but Granddaughter is here until Aug 15th so I haven't had time to try it out. It will go up to King size. Got a great price and I am using the Machine itself to make some tops so I have plenty to practice on when I actually use it. Love the machine. I'd post pictures but I still can't figure out how to post. Hope I am better at short arming than I am at posting. I'm sure I'll be needing help. The lady I bought it from has offered to come and work with me to learn. Can't wait.

I have this system too - have been using it just short of a year. Started with charity projects, baby quilts and panels and have now progressed to single and queen size. A huge learning curve but am loving it!

jaly3162 08-01-2012 04:13 PM

I have a Husqvarna Mega Quilter with and older Inspira frame. I had my husband build boxes to put under the feet to raise the frame so I don't have to bend over. Originally is was low enough that I could sit and quilt but it was hard on my back bending over topin the backing and top to the leaders. I'm not very good and just do loops. It is good for my home quilts but if I have a good quilt or I want to give a quilt away, I have someone else do it for me.

pamg 08-01-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaly3162 (Post 5411592)
I have a Husqvarna Mega Quilter with and older Inspira frame. I had my husband build boxes to put under the feet to raise the frame so I don't have to bend over. Originally is was low enough that I could sit and quilt but it was hard on my back bending over topin the backing and top to the leaders. I'm not very good and just do loops. It is good for my home quilts but if I have a good quilt or I want to give a quilt away, I have someone else do it for me.

OK I have this same machine and frame....maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong...my thread keeps breaking....I make sure the quilt isn't laying on machine bed....the quilt is tight....I have good quiilting thread...I try not to go to fast....but it breaks some times after 2 rolls other times after a few stitches.....hope you ao some one can help with ideas.....

spokanequilter 08-01-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 5406472)
I bought a (used) Little Gracie frame with a Janome 1600 PQC on it. Haven't had any time to do more than a little doodling on it, hope to get more time in the autumn. I think loading the quilt will be my biggest challenge!

Me too!! I recently got a crib size Grace frame and I use my Janome Horizon with it. I've done a little practicing and it works pretty well and I'm hoping with more practice to be able to finish most of my smaller quilts and wall hangings. But, I'm still struggling with loading the quilt. I have to stop and read the directions or watch a youtube video every time. Hoping it will become easier with time.... I think I will enjoy it...