Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-social-classes-lone-homebody-quilter-t20285.html)

PrettyKitty 05-19-2009 02:07 AM

*singing* Aaaaalll by myyyy seeellf! Lone quilter too. Nearest quilt shop is an hour away. I have searched and searched and can not find classes near me. You guys are my only quilting buddies!

There is a local Quilt group but I went to a show they did once and they were all 'mature' ladies and didn't seem that forthcoming to me when I asked questions, but chatted away like crazy to anyone over 60.

I have learnt SO much on here and use a lot of videos on Youtube for techniques like binding etc...I am such a visual person.

elliemay 05-19-2009 02:10 AM

I too a loner.. did go to a beginners class last year and there is another one in September which I signed up for.. I am on my own all day every day... aw... so like others have said.. I learn from internet and forum.. buy books that I hope to understand.. just waiting for one called Quilting from start to finish. by Katherine Gurrier? Had it out from Library and looked as if its going to be very useful for me so though may as well get my own copy and hope to learn about it all!!! I still need a heck of a lot of help!! at the class we only touched on 'colour matching' I have some Bondaweb, but dont know how to use it!!! but heard others say its great!!! :roll:

farscapegal 05-19-2009 03:19 AM

I sew at home and not in a group but I love to take classes and learn new techniques and to be social. I love being around people and I have met some incredible people while taking classes. Some I am still friends with years later.

I rarely finish any quilt that I start in a class. I just take scraps to learn the technique then go home and make it the way I want to.

I do a lot of art quilts and most classes don't teach that but the techniques they teach I may use in my art quilts.

Sybil

Knot Sew 05-19-2009 03:55 AM

A hermit loner I guess, I have thought of taking classes, but money is a consideration, and the average class here is $70......I can't do anything while being watched and don't like lugging around a lot of stuff....I buy books and magazines an use the internet for how too :D s'

Bevanger 05-19-2009 05:37 AM

lone quilter... I can't afford classes :oops:

mytwopals 05-19-2009 06:27 AM

Guess what? I'm a lone quilter, too! I can usually pick up a book or watch a TV show or DVD and be able to do anything, including painting cars, drywall, plumbing, electrical, ceramic tile and even quilting. Learned how to do my Lone Star quilt from a TV show. I can't remember which one though.

cybercat 05-19-2009 06:42 AM

Quilting alone have no choice. like bev money too tight for classes right now. Thank goodness for this site and the net.

Angie 05-19-2009 06:47 AM

I guess I'm a loner..... no one I know quilts. I have taken a sampler class once I found out how much was involved in quilting, when I did my first quilt for my grandson (in the pic section) I am also planning to take a machine applique class in the summer.

mamatobugboo 05-19-2009 06:58 AM

i sew alone, but not really by choice! I have taken quite a few classes and always enjoy the socializing part of it, especially since quilters are hysterical people! I would love to take more classes and join a quilting group that meets at each other's houses or at a shop or something, but the timing just doesn't work out since the kids are involved in activities and are still on the younger side.

I have joined a quilt guild to get that community feel and wish I had friends who quilted! My next door neighbor sews and so we have a blast together going to fabric stores and doing show-n-tell quite a bit.

k3n 05-19-2009 07:18 AM

I've always been a loner - all the reasons given above, scared of quilt poilce etc. BUT you all gave me the confidence to go to my local group and I must say I really enjoy it! Don't get much done though - too busy yacking! It's about two thirds French one third English ladies and I always position myself between the two 'groups' - yes, they sit like that and it's a shame, no bad feeling just that most of the English ladies don't speak French, but how will they learn if they don't join in? Anyway, that's another story!

The French ladies are a hoot - all over 60 and rowdy to say the least! Mostly we bring our own hand sewing projects (the French are a bit dismissive of machine work). We are doing a group Dear Jane quilt - making a few blocks each. It costs 25 euros for the year and that includes one paid trip to a show somewhere, so not bad! AND I've learnt some tips along the way too! I needn't have worried about my skill level - there are all stages and abilities so I slot in just fine!

K x