Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you stuck, without Wal-Mart as a source for fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-stuck-without-wal-mart-source-fabric-t52304.html)

Favorite Fabrics 07-01-2010 01:34 PM

Reading all the posts about Wal-Mart, I can't help but wonder how many of you are feeling "stuck", with no local source to buy fabric, if your Wal-Mart has closed their fabric department.

As a courtesy to poor Patrice, who has had to keep popping in lately to remind us to "play nice!", let's not use this thread to say we hate Wal-Mart. Please *do* speak up to say if you are lost without Wal-mart as a source... or not!

bearisgray 07-01-2010 01:39 PM

As someone that has "a bit" of fabric on hand, the answer is "no."

BUT, that said, I bought a LOT of fabric there. I will miss it - especially for the Halloween and Christmas/Winter themed fabrics and the great fabrics that were in their "assorteds" now and then.

Pam 07-01-2010 01:45 PM

I used to shop for fabric there, especially for backing. I miss it being in the Carmi Store (30 miles from home), where hubby likes to shop. (Across the road from our favorite grocery store).

Now I have to drive 30 miles in the other direction to get fabric, so I am mad at Walmart and get my fabrics at The Farmer Store instead (Walmart is just a couple of miles farther for me). So there Walmart. I choose "other" now. I doubt they care though.

Bottle Blonde 07-01-2010 01:49 PM

The Wal Mart I shop at does not carry fabric. They do have sewing machines, rotary cutting tools and supplies, limited amount of thread, seam rippers, pin cushions, elastic, buttons and other sewing notions that I can't remember right now. But NO FABRIC - what is up with that? There is a Hobby Lobby in my town and 2 excellent LQS within 20 min drive and Joanns and Hancocks are about 30 min away so I am happy enough. I spread my money around - Wal Mart can't have all of it.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-01-2010 01:59 PM

I never even knew WM sold fabric until I joined the board so my answer has to be no. Not sure if the one near me even sold it. Sounds like they don't all have a dept :D

thequilterslink 07-01-2010 02:01 PM

I will miss walmart fabric, i always popped in the fabric dept to see what they had and most often got a few fq's. I buy a lot at LQS too, but i will miss walmart.

Ditter43 07-01-2010 02:26 PM

I used to buy quite a lot of fabric from Walmart. Then I would buy groceries and other things at the same time. Since they closed the fabric department, I seldom shop there. It's closer to shop in town...oh well, I guess they are doing okay without me!

patricej 07-01-2010 02:52 PM

when our department downsized and the next nearest disappeared, i thought i was really going to miss the full-size walmart fab department. i guess i sorta do, but mostly because the ladies in the department are so nice.

i have gotten so good at hunting down sales online that i pay less now than i would if i still got all my fabs from wally - especially now that the VIP line is just under $5 per yard.

over the weekend i stumbled into a half-price-off-everything sale. that included the fabs already on sale. i got $9.99 per yard fabs for less than $3 per yard including shipping. i watch thousand-of-bolts like a hawk. their prices average just a bit more than half that in the shops. i bought a pile last week on sale for less than $4 per yard including shipping. they'd have been $9 or $10 in a shop.

you will never hear me criticize wally fabs. i'm tickled pink for those of us who still have that local option. i just want to encourage those who've lost it to brave the online "jungle". there is hope and there are bargains to be found out there.

the days of decent fabs for $2 per yard are long gone. i'll miss that no matter where i do most of my shopping.

MadQuilter 07-01-2010 03:14 PM

The closest WalMart to us is undergoing the dreaded remodel. Pat was in there recently and said that he is DONE shopping there. However, there is another WalMart close to where I work, and they still have a rather substantial craft/fabric department.

humbird 07-01-2010 03:33 PM

Have hear ours will remodel soon, and will not carry fab. I will miss it.