Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You want how much? Craigslist edition (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-want-how-much-craigslist-edition-t45613.html)

littlehud 05-12-2010 01:22 PM

I don't think so. I can find somewhere else to spend my $500.00. ( If I had that much :lol: :lol: :lol: )

JJs 05-12-2010 01:38 PM

the other thing is - why tell the whole world that your daughter needs to be rescued? if someone calls and says, "I'm interested but why are you selling?" THEN say something about needing cash right away...

QuiltingQueen 05-13-2010 03:11 AM

That is surely worth $500+. I was working one alone one day at my LQS when this lady came in, wondered around for about an hour, bought thread, notions, one fabric panel and a small travel basket. She spent $350 and didn't bat an eye! It all when home with her in a medium sized bag! Granted she must have had 10-15 spools of Metler thread and she put it on plastic.... we're still talking about her a work!

mjsylvstr 05-13-2010 03:54 AM

My opinion is......

"there but for the Grace of God, go I"

Gilla 05-13-2010 06:18 AM

Did anyone check it out?

adrianlee 05-13-2010 07:21 AM

As with anything, let the buyer beware. I went to a fabric sale couple years ago that was on Craigs. Lots of neat material but it wasn't a "need cash now" type thing. A lady helping out couple shops that were closing their doors. I did get a couple yards of different pieces for my stash.

lfw045 05-13-2010 07:30 AM

Why someone felt the need to single out that post on Craigslist and post it here just to see everyone get riled up is beyond me. What if it were you in that situation? Seems to be a trend here lately that is not attractive for this message board at all....judgemental attitudes...even if it is on the Chitchat only..doesn't matter. Let's get back to the beauty and love of quilting, ladies. After all, that is where we shine!

Lori S 05-13-2010 07:41 AM

I receintly had to adjust my homeowners insurance policy. I had re done my sewing room and just wanted to make sure everything was covered in case of a loss. My agent originally replied by saying of course don't worry about it . Then I questioned the limit the insurance company would cover, unless a specific rider was used. He said you can't possibly have that much... To make along story short he came to 'inspect" the situation. I pulled a chunk of fabric off the shelf and said "this was $10.00. He was stunned ... counted the number of pieces on one shelf and was stunned at the value on just one of many shelves. I now have a special rider on my homeowners policy.
My point is that when it comes to fabric and supplies the value can really add up quickly. Now does that mean you should pay "full value" it has been my experience that when I have gone to estate sales and similiar .10 to .20Cents on the real dollar value is the going rate. Make an offer is you are truley interested. But do inspect the items , as you know our tastes in fabric are so different from one quilter to another. If you can't use the items or have any need ....than any price is more than you should spend.

Gramof6 05-13-2010 07:45 AM

It doesn't matter WHY she is selling her things, the point is, if you have the money & want it...it is available. Personally I do not need it. Hope she gets a fair price. A few Rulers alone add up quickly.

seamstome 05-13-2010 07:56 AM

Assuming this is real, I feel sorry for these women. Imagine being in a situation where you longed to help your daughter so badly and the only way you could do it was to sell off your "hobby" because you had so much invested in it and you didnt have enough emergency fund in cash. Imagine being the daughter in a situation where you needed to ask your mother to do this for you. No matter how dysfunctional the situation is (or is not) it is sad.

Times are tough out there. I know my parents have essentially nothing but they would sell everything they own to help me. As the one woman said, there but for the Grace of God, go I.