Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your best quilting related garage sale or market find-- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-best-quilting-related-garage-sale-market-find-t64643.html)

aardvarq 09-16-2010 04:07 AM

My Find?

Three weekends ago, I had a taupe featherweight WALK-IN to MY garage sale!

My group was collecting donations for scholarship fundraising.

The featherweight was dropped off for sale.

I went into shock but managed to buy it immediately from my own garage. I have cleaned and tuned it up, but it is waiting for its first project.

Aardie.

CAJAMK 09-16-2010 04:28 AM

I think you get the prize for that story....priceless! I am sitting here laughing with envy!

lizzy 09-16-2010 06:10 AM

My best finds were found by my husband. He bought 2 featherweights at 2 different garage sales, one was $40 and the other was $50. Both in working order. They both included the cases and all parts for the machine.

zactanls 09-16-2010 06:23 AM

I got a box full of quilting magazines for $5.00 and then at a church sale got a box full of quilting books for $3.00. Can't beat those sales

romney5 09-16-2010 06:43 AM

a longarm quilter or a sew/quilt/embroidery machine. Don't tell me it is a longarm as I may just have to kill myself!

I thought getting a janome/kenmore 19006 table top machine was a good deal at 650.00

go figure. good job!

Debi S 09-16-2010 06:58 AM

If you haven't tried SewBids.com penny auctions you are really missing out on the latest way to get top sewing merchandise at ridiculously cheap prices. I just won a bolt of Legacy batting worth $54.00 for an amazing $3.92 (four bids of .85 cents plus the final price of .52 cents). I also won 9 Accuquilt GO cutter dies worth $270 for an average of $5 each. Amazing. I lost a few auctions too but where else on earth can you take $20 and turn it into $300 worth of awesome quilting stuff. Right now there are 4 auctions open for your choice of Accuquilt dies. Check back often for loads of different items. I have no affiliation with SewBids.com, just one very happy customer. If you go and sign up please use my name Fireraven and earn us both free bids.
Debi

mulema 09-16-2010 07:58 AM

I have been reading the wonderful finds at at yard sales. A couple of years ago my husband bought a vintage singer in a cabinet for $20 dollars. with lots of attachments. It is in wonerful condition and I am forever using it to repair grandsons jeans. my newer machine will not sew through denim. I love it. don;t know how to use all the attachments but am very happy with it.

klgreene 09-16-2010 08:15 AM

I haven't had any finds at garage sale, but I was really stupid a couple years ago. I hadn't been quilting in a while and I must have had 100 magazine or more. So instead of throwing them away, I figured someone might buy them in a garage sale. $3.00...... now I could just kick myself. But some times you just have to clean house.And it gives me reason to buy more.

CAJAMK 09-16-2010 08:21 AM

Does your huband have a brother??? Wow that is awesome!!

mshawii 09-16-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I am just wondering. I love to go to sales every Sat I can. I have found so many wonderful items over the years. I truly feel blessed as this past weekend I found an embroidery machine for $50 in great working condition. A Brother PE 150. I know it is a bottom line but we all have to start somewhere. I have found wonderful fabrics & notions as well. But I feel this was probably my best quilt related bargain.

Mine aren't garage sales, but freebie's. First one was from a PEO sister, who had an old machine in her garage for 20 years, and had lost the key to even get into it. She knew I sewed so she asked me if I wanted it. I told her yes and so I went and picked it up. Turned out it was a bentwood case with a Singer Centenial issue.
The second one was a lady who judges dog shows came to me and said she needed a lining of a skirt shortened, and if I was interested, she had a sewing machine that she had gotten when she got married, and her Mother in law had bought it for her because she felt every household should have a sewing machine. This gal had never opened the machine up so it is off the showroom floor new. Probably a late 50's Singer. Not sure of the date or even how much either machine is worth. The last machine only needed a damp cloth to wipe the dust off and I oiled it, and the cover needed soap and water to clean it. Both are heavy weight machines to carry, but sew like a dream. Both have the boxes of about 12 attachments.