Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your favorite rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-favorite-rotary-cutter-t25444.html)

pennyswings 09-19-2009 06:58 PM

I have one rotary cutter and have used it since I started quilting. It is a Olfa 45mm Ergo cutter with a safety lock button. I love it and find no need for any other. But that is just me. LOL

Originally Posted by bookwormsub
Hello all. I'm going to be buying my first rotary cutter soon, so I felt the need to ask all of you people out there about your likes, dislikes and favorites. What size and brand of rotary cutter do you use? Do you find different uses for the different sizes? Thanks. I already have a self-healing mat and a clear rotary cutter ruler.

pennyswings 09-19-2009 07:06 PM

Nice tip, will have to try that. Thank you.

Originally Posted by wingrider
At a quilt class recently, our instructor said she gets double duty out of her rotary cutter blades by flipping them over. Her husband is a woodworker and said that is what he does with certain saw blades. I have tried it and you do get some extra "life"out of them.

PamH 09-19-2009 07:07 PM

I use Olfa 45. It's a pink one!!

wesing 09-19-2009 07:37 PM

When we started quilting we bought a Fiskars like Bev's. I like it fine, but I have a new favorite. When I went to ebay to buy replacement blades I found a buy it now deal on a bunch of blades and practically got an Olfa ergonomic for free. I loved it as soon as I started using it and now I hardly use the Fiskars any more. Both of them are 45mm; we don't have any other size. As an added bonus the erogonomic is Susan Koman pink and part of the sale supports breast cancer research. My MIL is a survivor, so we like to buy SK products when we can.

Darren

kd124 09-19-2009 09:13 PM

Just reread my previous answer and realized it wasn't clear about my Fiskars. When I release the handles, they close automatically. Someone else was using them which is why I was using my olfa.

sewhappy57 09-19-2009 10:01 PM

Funny you should ask. I've been drooling over the Ginger Rotary cutter for months now, in the morning I'm going to get one with my JoAnn's coupon for 50% off. Can't wait! I'll let you know how I like it. :D

Ragann63 09-20-2009 10:04 AM

I have several (so does my mom.) Our favorite is by Martelli. It is a 45 degree cutter made for either right or left handers. Cost is about $25.00. You get absolutely NO hand cramping. I once cut an almost 3000 (yes - three zeros!) piece quilt out for my mom in ONE NIGHT! No cramps. You just can't beat that. The handle is L shaped so your arm does the work, not your wrist. I also find that I don't bear down as hard which also results in cramping. Good luck! You may have to try several before you find the one you are most comfortable with.

Lyn4ty 09-21-2009 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by billswife99
Martelli for sure!! I picked one up at a quilt show and will never go back to the old style. I have no trouble cutting 8 layers with this one. :!:

oh yes this is my favorite too!! I refuse to use anything else now. Feels just right in my hand and I can cut forever with it through multiple layers!!