Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite rotary cutter?

bookwormsub
    Hello all. I'm going to be buying my first rotary cutter soon, so I felt the need to ask all of you people out there about your likes, dislikes and favorites. What size and brand of rotary cutter do you use? Do you find different uses for the different sizes? Thanks. I already have a self-healing mat and a clear rotary cutter ruler.

Banned
    i love my fiskars. heres a pic of the one i have
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a fiskers like Bev does and I also have an Olfa. I like them both. Keeping the blade sharp is the secret to happy cutting.

Banned
    i like the shape of mine. its easy on the wrist. i need to get some blades tho :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    i love my fiskars. heres a pic of the one i have

Me too! I have 3 different sizes. I find I use the 45mm most...like the smaller one for smaller cuts or on corners. I use the momma one..the big one for cutting into stacks or thicker fabric. The fiskars blade change is easy too when you need to replace...and, I love the push w/the thumb on the top to push out the blade and then the button to retract it quick. I like to keep mine closed when not in use...I value my toes!LOL Skeat

I prefer my Olfa, 45mm, not the straight ones though. I have a couple of the smaller ones, and have never used them(got them in an auction lot). If you're going to do a lot of cutting, and I'm assuming you will be(LOL), get the ergonomically shaped one.

I have a Clover I got at Ebay and I love it.

I have a fiscars as well as what some of the other ladies have. I love the grip I have with it.

I have a Fiskars, just like Bev's, Skeat's and LoriJ's!
    I really like it, and I use my 45mm the most too.
    I don't enjoy the ones I have that you have to push up and down to expose the blades, and consider them, much more dangerous.

I've used the Fiskars cutter for years. I got one of the sideways handle Martelli cutters and love it! I have a bad shoulder and it really helps reduce the pain in that shoulder when I do a lot of cutting.

Martelli for sure!! I picked one up at a quilt show and will never go back to the old style. I have no trouble cutting 8 layers with this one. :!:

Blog Entries
    I have every brand of rotary cutters. My kids see one and say I know mom uses those so that what is usually in my Christmas stocking. :-) It seems walking in a quilt shop means honing in on one item that looks familiar and then leaving as fast as possible. The best one I have ever used is the Gingher rotary cutter. It's weighted and the gingher blades are coated.

I use my Olfa ergonomic the most.I love the safety feature that lets you lock it closed, they can be dangerous to small children, or ladies that forget to close the blades and then drop them off of the cutting table. I have had two ladies gash their feet when that happened in class, be careful! I have 3 sizes of Olfas, use the 45 size the most.

Blog Entries
    Ginher for me.

Olfa Ergo here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I've used the Fiskars cutter for years. I got one of the sideways handle Martelli cutters and love it! I have a bad shoulder and it really helps reduce the pain in that shoulder when I do a lot of cutting.
    I was going to say the same thing. I loved my Fiskars but I love my Martelli even more. I have shoulder issues as well and this one is much easier on it. I can also cut sitting down, and through 6-8 layers as well.

I have the Fiscars that i use the most. i close the blade after every cut. i am such a clutz that i know that i would be the one to cut off a toe or something! i'm having an issue with keeping the nut tight on it. My blade gets all wobbly if i don't tighten it after every few cuts.

I use Olfa. I like the 60 and use it more than the 45, which is what I started off with.

I'm drooling for a Gingher! One of these days I'll get it.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    I love my Martinelle too!
    Dix

bookwormsub
    Thanks for answering my questions! I now have a Fiskars like Bev and many of you have. I now also have a 6x24 clear ruler and a 12 1/2 square ruler. I already had a mitering ruler and a cutting board. So now I'm all set. I've cut the binding for my quilt and made a few practice 3-inch squares, and so far I'm very pleased. Why did I insist on using scissors to cut out my patterns??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dix
    I love my Martinelle too!
    Dix
    I have 3 Olfas BUT I saw the Martinelli "dance" at a Sewing expo and used one there. I will purchase that one next - It felt great in my hand and easy to use. Much nicer than my Olfas.

Blog Entries
    Fiskar just like Bev.has

Quote Originally Posted by Pats8e8
    I use my Olfa ergonomic the most. I love the safety feature that lets you lock it closed

Ditto! The 45mm is the one to start with, but you may also want a very small one for detail work.

I have Olfa and Fiskars, - but I bought a Marteli ergonomic at a show early in the year.
    Since I developed carpal tunnel in June, the has been the best foresight I have ever had. I may be having trouble prepping food in the kitchen, but still have no trouble using this cutter.

Gingher---son and daughter-in-law gave me one for Christmas---toally awesome---daughter-in-law is a many award winning quilter---and really great

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast