Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are your LQShops still open? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-lqshops-still-open-t23504.html)

NY Nancy 07-31-2009 06:24 AM

The shops in the Buffalo NY area are still doing well. There are - let's see - two in the city and - four in the suburbs (within a half-hour of the city). There has been only one that closed within the last five years, and that shop had moved in from out-of-state (and the merchandise was just not as well suited to the local clientele as that of the other shops).

Other than the quilt shops, we have several JoAnns and one Hobby Lobby in the area.

BellaBoo 07-31-2009 07:39 AM

There are only two real quilting stores semi close to me. Both are about an hour away. So far they are doing great business wise. There are sewing machine dealers closer to me with some fabric and a few quilting supplies but I get the hard sale pitch to buy a machine when I go there. I don't mind driving the hour for my shop fix.

Angie 07-31-2009 12:46 PM

I have several and they are all doing well!

quiltswithdogs 07-31-2009 12:47 PM

Well it looks like us quilters are doing our best to help keep most of our quilt shops open, sort of our own stimulus for the owners, sure hope they appreciate our sacrifice!

Aggi... I'm like you; in the past 18mo, although I go to just look and get ideas, I don't go to my LQS to buy fabric because the cost is too high for me since I had to stop working for medical reasons. My stash was getting low, then I got 2 wonderful squishies from one of our members! So, now I have a baby quilt almost done and I've started a lapquilt--- for ME! I'm still using stash for BOM.

Oklahoma Suzie 07-31-2009 01:10 PM

We had JoAnn's close here, but we are lucky. Our Walmart still sells some fabric, even after the redo. There are 3 LQS's in our area. The store my sis and I went to this week is wonderful. She had a Christmas in July sale for 2 weeks. Each day was a different offer.

Pam B 08-01-2009 03:46 AM

I just received notice that a LQS between my house and Indianapolis is closing. Too be honest, I have stopped in there a few times but, really cannot remember ever making a purchase there. I think it was because they did not have a very large inventory. It was a store that was a bit off the path for me and after going there a couple of times, I didn't make a huge effort to get there again. That said, I am always sorry when a store goes out of business because it was probalby a favorite for someone. I am not sure the economy can be blamed for this store going out as much as competition from 3 other stores within a 15-20 minute drive from it.

Bevanger 08-01-2009 04:19 AM

We have Quilted Strait here and its still open. I very seldom see people go in there, but don't look each time I drive by. Its on a main street downtown

peaceandjoy 08-01-2009 04:35 AM

The ones in Upstate NY all seem to be doing well. I try to do what I can to help :wink:

Jannie 08-05-2009 11:13 AM

Only 1 in my area is closing. She is retiring & those interested in buying her out could not get financing. I will miss her shop.

Cathe 08-05-2009 02:45 PM

We had two within 30 miles, but both closed a couple years ago. Even in a booming economy, it's hard for a quilt store to make a profit in a small town.